67-6 vs 3" GP100

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by JohnR, May 15, 2017.

1. JohnR

JohnR New Member

I took two of my favorites to the range Friday. A police trade-in S&W 67-6 .38 revolver with a 4" barrel, and my 3" GP100. The GP has Pachmayr Diamond Pro grips, a dab of white nail polish on the front sight, and a 9# hammer spring, the S&W is unmodified by me. No idea if the LEA that had it before did anything to it.

They both feel just right in my hand, well balanced and high quality. The S&W is a lean and mean masterpiece of industrial art, the GP is more like your beer buddy who's laid back but he works out regularly and could smash an attacker with his thumb. I wanted to see if I preferred one over the other in actual use.

The S&W's front blade and adjustable rear notch work very well, and after shooting steel plates, two paper targets, and chasing the plastic lid of a soda cup around the berm, my conclusion is it's a solid businesslike shooter. Not difficult to hit with. Mild recoil (as any 34.6 oz .38 should have), and perfect function.

The GP100's trigger has a longer stroke (something rarely mentioned in comparisons to Smiths), and it stacks and stages as you pull it. I happen to like that. And with the 9# spring it's a tactile joy. Its fixed sites are, like the Smith's, not difficult to align, and hitting the point of aim isn't difficult. Neither is made to be a precision bullseye shooter, but with practice each can hit a threat where it matters.

The GP got dirty after about a hundred rounds and the cylinder bound up. I let it cool and gently tapped it against the bench to get it to swing out. The rounds tend to stick in the chambers, no doubt due to the carbon ring built up in the .357-sized cylinder. That didn't happen in the Smith, which is .38 Special only. The rounds always slid right out of the Smith and fell to the ground when I pushed the ejector.

Nevertheless, I really prefer the GP100. As long as I keep it clean inside, it shouldn't get sticky. It's one ounce lighter than the 67-6, and with the light trigger it's just plain fun to shoot. Both excel at what they do, but if I had to pick one in an emergency, it would be the GP.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

What's going on with the discoloration on the GP100 cylinder?

I admire the looks of that Smith.

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

The discoloration no doubt is powder residue. I wonder is the gap bigger on the GP versus on the Smith?

4. JohnR

JohnR New Member

I hadn't cleaned either one, that's powder residue. Now they're spic & span.

I don't have any gauges to measure the gap, but it may be due to the Ruger's brushed finish vs. the Smith's more polished finish. Soot sticks better to the brushed finish and routine handling rubs it off the Smith. I also didn't shoot nearly as many rounds through the Smith.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  5. airweightfourfourtytwo

airweightfourfourtytwo New Member

nice GP there, I have one and would NOT swap it for anything--very quality gun and shoots great. Carry it 24/7.