66 Thunderbird you been asking for

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tommycourt, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Jim,
    I am sure I got this in the wrong category so please adjust it as you wish

I am trying and I say trying to download these pics however I am having problems as usual.

This is the T-Bird I am fixing up for my friends wife and getting ready to sell. This car has NOT been polished or cleaned yet. I have done all kinds of mechanical work on it and a lot to go. I don't mind doing it because I am not on a schedule. It has a new motor (3000 miles on it) replaced master cylinder and tore brakes completely down to check everything out. New plugs, points, etc. Top won't go down so that is my next project after I replace the strut bar bushings (tomorrow);Carb needs to be rebuilt and gas tank sender replaced. So far I have about 40 hours work in it and have spent about $400.00. Should sell for about $30-35K. All proceeds including my labor goes to his wife.

tbird.jpg
    tbird2.jpg
    tbird3.jpg

Tommy

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2016
  2. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

Good looking car even though I had to stand on my head to do it.;)

3. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I KNEW you would say something. I worked over an hour trying to post these pics and still can't get them right. Jim can fix them for me. Now, all I have to do is wait for Savage to say something, cuz you know he will. Just cuz you guys are teckies doesn't mean I have to be one. I was happy using my old wall hanging crank phone from 1913 and then they start this mobile phone stuff.

OK for you Handy, just OK for you!!! You are now officially on the list!!!
    Tommy

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Thanks Tommy...it was worth the wait !!

5. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

MEM o RIES.....

Man that's a beauty.

Wish I could take it for a spin...just one time.
    :cool:

What motor Tommy?

Jim

6. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

That's a good looking car!
    And Tommy, you figured it out, that's what counts!

7. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Guys,

The engine is a 390 cu. inch with a C-6 transmission. The car has an original 93K miles with a new long block installed in 2003 and the mileage was 89K when they did it. I haven't driven it yet because I had to go through the brake system. I tore the brakes completely down to the backing hubs and cleaned them and checked the wheel cylinders. Front brakes are disc. I will probably put another 100 hours into it getting it pristine. When I was a younger man, I could probably doing it a lot faster but at my age, I don't have any schedule. The best part of the deal is the pride that goes along with getting the car back on the road and making it a nice car for another person. No one will probably know or care 2 years from now on who did the work, but I know I did and that's what makes it worthwhile for me. Pride is nice but keeping it inside is much more fulfilling.

Tommy

8. havasu

havasu In the army now..

Man o man, what a beautiful car. It seems the value for that car could be a bit higher, especially in California.

9. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

That is a nice ride. Thanx for the pics. :Cooltu:
    A friend had a blue one of about the same year model way back when.
    Those were the days....

:GadsdenFlag:

10. havasu

havasu In the army now..

We had a Copper 1964 Bird. I remember the swing away seats and the push aside steering wheel. Pretty high tech for the day.

11. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

That is one fine ride. No doubt it is worth some really big bucks. I always liked that model of T-Bird.

12. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Thunderbirds were awesome cars for a long time, seems like. I really liked the '56. When the '57 came out I liked that too, but began to wonder about 'bulking up'. By the time I got to drive a T-bird, a rental sometime in the '80s, they had gone over to the dark side.

13. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Ford tried bringing the T-Bird back a few years ago but was just another car that went by the wayside. They wanted as much for them as a Corvette. Ford had to knock the bottom out of the prices just to get rig of them. Strange I saw one just yesterday.
    LOL Not that I would mind having one.

14. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

What a beautiful car. I've always wanted to restore a 60s Ford/Mercury of some sort but have never had the money. Either a 68 or 69 Mustang or a Cougar or maybe a T-Bird.

15. havasu

havasu In the army now..

I just saw a newer bird yesterday. My G/F commented on how ugly that car was.

16. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, the true muscle cars were all hatched in mid 60s,
    I had a 68 Super Bee.

The newer muscle car remakes are not the same.

Jim

17. Oldhand

I had a 69 Mustang, 390, Holly 750 4 barrel carb. The speedometer stopped at 120 with a quarter inch of gas pedal left. Sure miss that car.:cool:

18. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

^^ Those things had a VERY lite tail end.... Ask me how I know. :eek:

19. Oldhand

At 120 mph the front end was floating, that was when the wife woke up and started beating on me to slow down. Driving from Georgia to Louisiana, 1972.:D

20. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Hah! Oh yeah. Two inches of new, wet snow, and a 2% upgrade might as well have been a cliff.