1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at a crossroad here.

I've wanted the Bisley New Vaquero 5.5 for a long time,

maybe 2 years or so.

have handled a couple specimens and really like them.

My Dealer only had the 7.5 Bisley .45 Colt in blue, so I had to trade for
that.

Really, really like the Bisley frame and how it handles recoil.

Do want to add both the Bisley Super Blackhawk .45 Colt/ .45 ACP as
well, but only have the trade-in that will cover one of these guns.

I don't carry a single-action revolver for defense, unless in the woods.

The fixed sight of the Vaquero, and the Adj. sights of the Super B would
not make much of a difference, unless I was shooting heavy bullets and
then back to lighter loads.

A Super B convertible in .45/45 might be good for .45 ACP plinking, but I have a
beautiful Walther PPQ in .45 ACP for that if I need to shoot .45 ammo.

However, I do know that for those time when I'm out in the wild,
the Super B might be a little handier to pack though.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I really like the clean looks of the Vaquero. My tastes run to the standard rather than the Bisley though. What I bought would depend on what I wanted to do with it, with the realization of what my tired eyes will do. Namely they don’t see the rounded front sight and the gutter rear sight of the Vaquero so good anymore. I need bright light. For just fun shooting I would choose the Vaquero.

I chose the SBH mostly because I can see the sights better and hunting in the woods, the sun can be hiding behind the trees! I do not like the hump that houses the rear sight on the SBH though. I wanted the flat top, and a short barrel, and stainless steel. I chose the 4.62" SBH. It has the hump, but it’s not so pronounced. I did not enjoy shooting it so much though. Every shot with full house 44 magnums would drive the trigger guard into my trigger finger. Painful after a few shots. A cylinder full or two and I was done. I replaced the rosewood grips with the Hogue grips. Hideous looking, but effective. Fun to shoot now.
CDF6AEA5-2B18-44C9-A7BE-F0808DCD79C1.jpeg

IMHO the Lipsey’s 45 Colt / 45acp stainless conversion of the Blackhawk with its flat top is a good looking revolver. Plus I like the 45 Colt. I shoot a H&R Buffalo Classic Carbine chambered for the cartridge. A charge of IMR 4227 behind the Speer 260 grain JHP has proven to be a good deer round for me. The bullet is a bit soft, but wait for the shot and put the bullet into the rib cage and you have a dead deer. Plus the 44 magnum has nothing on the 4227/260 grain load! Add to that a load of Trail Boss pushing a 250 grain cast is a nice lowvrecoiling powder puff load. I have never had much luck downloading the 44 magnum.
B3E24678-5340-407D-A7D5-13D568B05050.jpeg

Just my $0.02. I am going to be still now before I talk myself into another handgun!

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
Hey I've got a Flat Top, but it's in .357 / 9mm.
DSCN2677.JPG

The frame and grip frames are ever so slightly different than the standard Blackhawks.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Try a slightly reduced load of Unique with a lighter bullet. You might get 'em to shoot to the same elevation as your heavy bullet magnum loads.
I have tried Unique, just can not find an accurate load with it. I shoot 240 grain with IMR 4227 and this thing will shoot lights out. Trying reduced loads, groups open to about the size of a Mexican sombrero. Same with my brothers “Dirty Harry” gun.

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
I have tried Unique, just can not find an accurate load with it. I shoot 240 grain with IMR 4227 and this thing will shoot lights out. Trying reduced loads, groups open to about the size of a Mexican sombrero. Same with my brothers “Dirty Harry” gun.
I don't own a .44 Mag anymore but when I did I used Win296 and 2400 in the early days then H110 more recently with 240 gr jacketed and 260 gr hard cast lead WFNGC bullets.
A 200 gr Hornady XTP bullet with a slightly reduced charge of Unique made for an accurate mild load that shot to the same POI as my H110 loads. (At 50 yd).
Possibly my Super Blackhawk's 7.5" barrel was more forgiving than a shorter barrel might be.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The first shots with my new Bisley.

Indoor range only goes out to 25 yards.

Ammo was Double Tap 255 grain hardcast.

recoil was medium, about like a 230 grain .45
+P load.

Last week I shot some Buffalo Bore 325 gr. hardcast.

No camera or phone for a pic, but the same range and
same yardage. The Buff Bore load printed 2 inches higher than
the Double Tap did.

Recoil was very pronounced with that stuff!

I can see whay shooting gloves might be in order.

Do not see me
shooting anymore of it.

Do think that the DT 255 SWC +P might be the Deer Load
for me in the fall.

I have all the time in the world to experiment.

http://www.doubletapammo.net/index.php?route=product/category&path=125_201

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm still leaning towards the Vaquero .45 Colt.

They are spendy guns for a Ruger revolver, but feel great in the
hand.

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
Just bought a used New Vaquero Bisley 45 Colt, picked it up for $500.01 haven't shot it yet. Looks just like your pic. IMG_20190201_140002.jpg

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
I thought the grips were to thin, replaced them with a pair that fills the hand better.

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
Have to be careful of your COL with the New Bisley Vaqeuro. The cylinder is shorter than the Blackhawk.

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
That is a beauty RedSoxRugers.:cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts