.45 ACP spare cylinder

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by C. D. Bates, Jan 3, 2020.

1. C. D. Bates

C. D. Bates Member

I have a Blackhawk New Model .45C. Recently picked up a Vaquero New Model in .45Colt, with the spare .45ACP cylinder.

Is the ACP cylinder safe to use in the Blackhawk? Or order a cylinder from Ruger?

The Vaquero is a blast to shoot with ACP, cheap, too.

2. Frontiersman

Frontiersman Active Member

Are you saying the cylinder came with the revolver?

There are "convertible" Ruger revolvers that have both .45 cylinders.

There is nothing dangerous about shooting .45 acp in a properly fitted and timed cylinder for the revolver in question. That does not mean it is properly fitted and timed for every revolver.

The answer is, "maybe". Have a smith that can take the proper measurements give you a professional recommendation.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020

3. C. D. Bates

C. D. Bates Member

The Vaquero came with both cylinders.

I thought there would be some "fitting" to be able to use the cylinder in another frame.
    Plus, the Blackhawk and Vaquero are different sizes.
    Seemed strange that Ruger would sell the cylinder, without having to send the frame in, for fitting.

4. Frontiersman

Frontiersman Active Member

The Original Vaquero and BH are the same diameter cylinder. If it's a "New Vaquero", it is smaller.

Occasionally you will find a cylinder that will swap straight across, but not always. There is a small margin for error. Your best bet would be the factory, but they will not likely fit you a cylinder if it was not shipped from the factory as a convertible.

5. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I contacted Ruger about getting a 9mm cylinder for my .357 Blackhawk.
    They will NOT sell you a cylinder without them having the firearm "in hand" so they can be sure the new, extra cylinder, is fitted correctly to your particular gun.
    There is a charge for the cylinder and also for fitting it to your gun. According to my conversation with customer service at Ruger, the revolver does not have to originally be a convertible for this service but it does have to be in good condition.
    I decided to just buy a convertible instead of sending my revolver to them. Can't have to many guns anyway you know...
    DSCN2677.JPG

6. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

^ I might add, I was asking C S at Ruger about my new model Blackhawk.
    Don't know about other models like the Vaquero.

7. dw445

dw445 New Member

Put it in the frame and see if it fits. Check the chamber/barrel alignment and hand advancement. If all that lines up, it should be good to go. I bought a 9mm cylinder from an online contact a couple of years ago after measuring the cylinder length of two of my Blackhawks and verifying it would fit in the frame of one of them. It slipped right in and works perfectly.