45 ACP in my NM Blackhawk

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by hombre243, Mar 25, 2013.

1. hombre243

hombre243 New Member

I just loaded a dozen Speer .452 graphite coated 250 gr SWC into my Federal once fired cases. 6 gr Unique (weighed) and small pistol primers. OAL 1.275". I like the small primers with this load as the pressure is said to be slightly less. I loaded 3-230 gr Lead truncated cone loads intermittently in the cylinder with the 250's. I used 5.6 gr Unique in those. Large pistol primers. OAL 1.170. I could tell no difference in the recoil but, I fired at water filled 1 gallon jugs at 30 feet and the 255's blasted one jug in half while the LTC load split the backside of the other jug a bit...not as devastating as the 250 grainer. Both look like they will be heavy enough for hunting. I was surprised at my accuracy. I fired 6 rounds and counted 3 holes in each jug...in the front. :D

Oh, no signs of excessive pressure. and all cases in reloadable condition.

I got my testing in for today. It wasn't a long session but it took the edge off my need to smell burned powder.

2. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

3. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

When they first came out with the 45 Gap for Glock they used small primers so you could easily tell it from the 45acp. Lately though I have found some 45acp ammo with the small primers. The ones I found were Federal. As I remember the 45 Gap was higher pressure and we had been told not to use it in standard 45acp guns.

4. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I have noticed lately a lot of Federal rounds with small primers. Usually I just pick up all .45acp brass and take them home and tumble them. Now after tumbling and resizing I have to check for small primer .45. They will deprime fine however when you go to prime them is when you really notice them. I try to check them after resizing however there are some that slip through. Using a Lyman hand primer is where you can really find them. They must have run a bunch through because the last bunch I picked up, about 200 rounds over half of them were small primer.

Tommy

5. gwpercle

gwpercle Member

" the 250 grain (SWC) blasted one jug in half " ... just maybe old Elmer Keith was on to something with those semi-wadcutter bullets he touted. I keep finding myself coming back to them after trying the newest and latest wonder jacketed premium bullet, every time .
    The 250 grain SWC at a decent velocity will be hard to beat in a hunting situation.....put that big bullet in the boiler room and you will have meat !
    Gary