.45 ACP advice

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by lasitter, Jul 29, 2014.

1. lasitter

lasitter New Member

New here, but the good news is that I have an abundance of product loyalty for Sturm, Ruger & Co.

What I don't have is a .45, and it looks like this:

Ruger 3800 SR45 10+1 45ACP 4.5"

Could fill that need for me. I'm moving to the PRMA, so the 10-round mag works out just fine. I like the various safety features too.

I've read a few complaints about irregularity of trigger pull / travel, but it's not the majority view.

My P85, GP100, and other pistols function in SA/DA mode, so this will be a bit of an adventure for me. Any comments on the 3800? Are there trigger kits for customizing to one's preferences?

Many thanks in advance.

2. mehensley

mehensley New Member

SR 1911 you will not be disappointed

3. lasitter

lasitter New Member

Might still go bigger, but I got an XDs and now I'm shopping for 7-round mags for it. It might do the trick.

4. refugee

refugee New Member

should you purchase the SR45 you will notice the trigger is very consistent and crisp probably AROUND 5-7 POUNDS. THE NEXT THING THAT MIGHT JUST SURPRISE YOU IS THE ACCURACY. MIGHT BE THE MOST ACCURATE PISTOL I OWN (THREE SAFES FULL). mine is just plain fun.

5. lasitter

lasitter New Member

6. refugee

refugee New Member

my trigger is consistent and predictable. just the same as my other four SR series pistols and just the same as the three I have given as gifts to family members.

7. lasitter

lasitter New Member

So when you're squeezing the trigger, you know when it's going to release? It doesn't just "go off" like the bashers in the video claim?

8. refugee

refugee New Member

that would be correct. consistent and predictable. all eight of the SR series pistols that I have bought, including the five I shoot weekly are virtually identical. from the 9c through the SR45. same weight and feel including a consistent break. try one at your local shop or rent one at a range. even a few dry fires ( mag in) should convince you the inconsistencies were with the makers of whatever video that might have been or perhaps with one isolated weapon. maybe a pistol that was "worked on."

9. passtime

passtime New Member

It took me a little while to get used to the trigger. The trigger break does not have a specific feel to it. It is more of a timing thing for me. I have learned to like it and I believe it helped me to get a little more accurate. I really enjoy my SR45. It is hard to put down at the end of a shooting session.

10. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I have an SR40c and I liked the trigger better on it than the Glock G27 or the XDM 3.8 40c. The Ruger was way better on recoil IMO also. Prices for quality the SR series can't be beat IMO.

11. Gwgw60

Gwgw60 New Member

I'm glad the SR1911 was my first 1911. Now I don't have a need for another 1911 style.

12. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

You mean you only buy a gun if you have a need for it? You have how many needed guns now? It's like potato chips you can't have just one and not like you need anymore. Be truthful isn't this the case? LOL.

13. colin1230

colin1230 New Member

Same with my SR9c, very Glock-like only better. Also, if you are wanting a .45 Ruger go with the SR1911. I know, it's twice the price of the SR45 but it's also twice the gun!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  14. Rich31977

Rich31977 New Member

Exactly what I am thinking.

15. OldTexan

OldTexan New Member

I have an SR1911 and SR45. Like 'em both but the 1911 is superior in all respects in my opinion.

The SR45 is my home defense/nightstand weapon.

The SR1911 is my baby. It's like an extended part of me.:D

16. TxLobo

TxLobo New Member

I want one... the Commander length..

I've carried 1911 since buying my first one at Alpine Shooting Range in Ft Worth in '82.. Colt, WW II era Remington Rand, etc.. currently with a Springfield loaded 5" now.. but I'd love to get back into the Commander size..

Someday.. Someday..

17. jaysonL

jaysonL New Member

I might me late to this party, but I love the CMD I bought this past October. every time I shoot it, I LOVE it more. No regrets.

18. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I will be the last one to shut the door on this case. The SR1911 is one of the finest shooting pistols that you can buy and I would compare it to a Les Baer or a Wilson which will cost in the thousands. Accuracy is superb, recoil is mild due to the weight distribution and the trigger has a small amount of take up and very crisp when fired. There is no way I would give up my SR1911 and love shooting it. Now my problem is to get back and start reloading a bunch of rounds as it's so much fun to shoot that you run out of rounds before you know it.
    Tommy