Ruger Talk Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Hey peoples! Just signed on. I was never much of a fan of Ruger Pistols, but I'm really enjoying the rifles I own. I own two 10/22s, a camo one and a takedown (I have two sons) and I recently acquired a 1963 vintage .44 carbine with the Williams receiver sight. I can't wait to take it to the range, and ultimately, the deer woods. I know I need to stick to jacketed bullets, but when it comes to reloading for this gun, does the over all length of the cartridge play a big role in reliability? I'd love to hear from other owners of this fine little thumper.

· Banned
13,094 Posts
Hey peoples! Just signed on. I was never much of a fan of Ruger Pistols, but I'm really enjoying the rifles I own. I own two 10/22s, a camo one and a takedown (I have two sons) and I recently acquired a 1963 vintage .44 carbine with the Williams receiver sight. I can't wait to take it to the range, and ultimately, the deer woods. I know I need to stick to jacketed bullets, but when it comes to reloading for this gun, does the over all length of the cartridge play a big role in reliability? I'd love to hear from other owners of this fine little thumper.
Hey Choozliberty,

Glad you joined us here at Rugertalk.

Please, if you get some time, stop over at Introductions, introduce yourself to us, tell everyone a little about yourself, and Im sure you will enjoy it here, and get a bunch of answers .

Thanks

Jim

· Registered
6 Posts
I have the older one that holds four in a tube magazine that loads like a shotgun under the carbine. To answes your questions yes this carbine is no problem taking a dear with like 125 yards or more depends on how well you shoot and know your ballistics. The old ones have a 1 in 38 inch rifling twist so a 240 gr full jacketed bullet is what you need to shoot. I use jacketed hollow points I reload with no lead exposed and flat point rounds but normal round jacketed bullets work fine in it and no they will not set the others off infact the manual recomends them. Hornady lever revolution 225 gr are fine in it also and you can now get 265 gr Hornady lever revolution bullets for reloading and heavier bullets will work for the newer type Ruger carbine like the deerfield as it has a 1 twist in 20 inches barrel so you can go to 300 as long as you carbine allows you to fit it in from the side of the reciever that way you know it will fit you magazine also...to long a round and you have to take the whole rifle apart...old Carbine try the heavier then 240 gr rounds for accuracy first I know gold dot makes a 270 jacketed factory round...do not use week rounds in it this round loves the hot stuff and is made for it...meaning like a 240 XTP bullet on 24 g4 of H110...no super hot crazy stuff that wieghs to much like 325 even for new carbines...usually a 240 XTP will hit a deer at 100 yards or meeters...no problem and will exit a deer side to side or be found just inside of the skin...this was used in Africa in the 1960s till know for Gorilla,elephant and all their game except water buffalo ...it will kill elk and moose at close range no problem.

· Registered
54 Posts
I suppose in a perfect world Ruger would bring back the Deerstalker, now if I was going to dream a little more it would be sweet if there was an adapter so you could use a Desert Eagle handgun magazine in place of the Ruger rotary magazine.

We can always dream right?
Well you got to dream once in a while.
:)

· RUGER AFICIONADO
7 Posts
My 44 carbine, mini14 and M77MKII RSI in .250 Savage are 3 guns now that I really regret selling. Hindsight is always 20/20 :hammer:

· Registered
54 Posts
Finally in, I 'm in love

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.