.44 mag?

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by firefox, Dec 5, 2014.

1. firefox

firefox New Member

Looking to get a .44mag in the near future and am wondering if you guys could give some insight on your opinion between the RedHawk or the Super RedHawk. My purpose for this gun is for carry in the woods and on backpacking trips for critter defense. Let me know the advantages of either model from people that have experience with either of these firearms.

2. Nogoat

Nogoat New Member

I have a Red Hawk, S&W 29 and a Super Blackhawk. I prefer the later as an all around revolver. Just my option.

Sent from my iPhone using Ruger Forum

3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

4. refugee

refugee New Member

my 4 inch Redhawk is my favorite 44. if you plan to carry one hiking this one offers an acceptable size and weight. I recently went to a G20 in 10mm for the purpose of backwoods/potential meeting with an angry she bear, but the 44 is a slightly better choice for that purpose in terms of ballistics.

5. firefox

firefox New Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. Can any one speak specifically on the differances between the RedHawk and the Super RedHawk? I like the idea of having a 4" barrel vs. the snub Alaskan, although anything over 4" would not serve my purpose well, IMO. Your thoughts on length of barrel?

6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

7. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Many years ago I had a Ruger Super Redhawk which had the lug just short of the end of the barrel and with Pachmayr grips. It shot real well even with "hot" loads which I rarely used. When I went big game hunting in the states and in Canada, I carried it in my backpack. I know that the new Redhawks have the shorter lug and you will have a lot more muzzle flip besides recoil. If you can find an older Redhawk I would suggest buying it. One thing about big bore pistols, most guys buy them, can't or won't shoot them a lot so chances of finding a good used one might be to your advantage. It's pretty hard to hurt a .44 Ruger. I almost forgot, my barrel length if I remember correctly was about 7" long, but that was a long time ago and I have a hard time remembering specifics but it was NOT a short barrel.
    Tommy

8. hightech62

hightech62 New Member

I have a 9.5" barrel super Redhawk. I use a strap on shotgun sling to pack it while on walk about.