.44 Mag Carbine?

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by bckskin2, Dec 18, 2013.

1. bckskin2

bckskin2 New Member

I do not understand why the .44 Carbine was not more popular. It was a much better carbine than the M1

2. weblance

weblance New Member

I have wondered the same thing. There isnt a reason why, that I can think of. Its maybe just the same issue as with a 9mm revolver. An excellent idea, and platform, but people are just not willing to change their ideas, and warm to something that is untraditional. The 44 carbine is my last bucket gun. I was able to shoot one recently, for the first time, and I was shocked by the recoil. I didnt expect that much force into my shoulder. I still want one, simply because I think its such a neat idea, but I doubt I will shoot it much. I live in a state that doesnt allow rifles for deer hunting, or that would have been the rifle I would have chosen.

3. ruger44magnum

ruger44magnum New Member

I have no idea why they didn't last longer. Here in Tn where I hunt ,the woods normally only allow no more than 100yd shots, so the .44 mag carbine is perfect. Loaded with hornady hollow points and it's one hell of a deer rifle.

4. ruger44magnum

ruger44magnum New Member

Big thing with that gun though, is u need damn good scope mounts, and u need a good scope. If u try cheap scope mounts and mount up a cheap scope that gun will never hold zero. The recoil is just to strong.

5. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I have a 20" 44 mag barrel for my G2 Contender that I like a lot and the recoil isn't bad at all.

[​IMG]

6. bckskin2

bckskin2 New Member

We cannot hunt deer with them in IL, but if I had a spot to hunt feral hogs I think they would be perfect. I wanted one for coyotes before this area got too settled and we got rid of our chickens.

7. JimA

JimA Member

My little brother used to shoot mine when he was 10.. Not much recoil at all.

8. ruger44magnum

ruger44magnum New Member

I'm not saying the recoil is horrendous but it will easily throw scopes off. I've had this happen.

9. Nogoat

Nogoat New Member

I think it's a great woods gun, I have three Ruger versions and 94s. Love them and if you get lucky you can reload a rounds that group in them and your S Blackhawk. The cost of ammo may be a factor and they are loud.

10. OnTheSide

OnTheSide New Member

I often wondered why the Ruger Patrol Rifle did not become popular. I thought it was a cool idea. I guess it could beat out the AR evilness.

11. OnTheSide

OnTheSide New Member

I meant Police Carbine.

12. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

If you are talking about the semiauto that was sort of an overgrown 10/22, I know why I sold mine. It was seriously inaccurate with 'standard' loads. Ruger strongly recommended using the 'mid-power' load in them, to achieve useable accuracy - which apparently meant 4" groups at 50 yards.

The Model 77 44 carbine is reasonably accurate at 50 yards, but that's not your subject, right?

13. pigguy

pigguy New Member

I shoot hornady 300 grain xtp through mine with great accuracy and would put the gun butt against my nose and shoot a round,verylight recoil! taken many deer and a hog out to 80 yards and never had to fire a second shot

14. ArubaFirst

ArubaFirst New Member

With VThillman's last post in mind; accuracy may be the reason the M44 did not gain in popularity.
    I bought a (in fine shape) used one and took it to the range yesterday.
    Open (original) sights at 25 yards. All three rounds struck the target board ~8.5 inches high at 12:00 in a triangle. Neat 2.5 inch gap between each.
    200 gr Blazers.
    The front sight blade is VERY NARROW and difficult to see when aiming at the (black) bulls-eye center. In order to bring the shot group down into the bulls-eye an unusually tall (and wide to be better seen) replacement front blade will be necessary.
    Yes, it kicks. Don't remember anything extraordinary.