44 Mag Bullet Selection

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by JEBar, Mar 28, 2015.

1. JEBar

JEBar New Member

I'd appreciate recommendations for heavy, solid dangerous game bullets to load for use in a Redhawk .... historically, we have used Nosler 44 caliber 240 grain JHP bullets with good success but we are looking for something heavier (300+ grains) in a solid bullet to load for backup use while hunting in areas with large, dangerous game .... I'd prefer solid brass or copper but if I can't find any, I would go will solid led .... from folks who have experience with such rounds, I'd also appreciate power and charge recommendations

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Wide meplat gas checked lead alloy bullets are out there - check out Cast Performance. I have unsubstantiated doubts about 300gr+ bullets in the .44 Magnum. I think they may crowd into case space that powder would utilize better. However, I'm guessing.

3. JEBar

JEBar New Member

based on a recommendation, I've looked at Barnes 300 Grain Flat Nose Flat Base Buster Handgun Bullets .... in the latest Nosler manual, they list 10 different powders .... loads run from 80% to 133% compressed .... with H110 showing 1423 fps, that appears to me to be very much in the running for what I'm looking for

4. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Years ago I used to bear hunt in Ontario, Canada and I carried a Ruger Super Redhawk, the early model with the extended lug and I carried, and I used to carry a 240 gr. JHP. Now if memory serves me correct, and it's been many years but I carried 3 JHP and 3 hollow points. If you ever hunted bear you always want to have a back up with you. My philosophy was when you hit a bear you went for the chest/front shoulder area and regardless you hit him twice. Once to break the shoulder and the second for insurance. Then when you got up close and if he was still breathing, use your Redhawk. I had a friend who hit one once and he went down immediately but jumped back up and ran through some muskegs and disappeared. In Ontario back then, once an animal was hit, you were obligated to find him and do the right thing and make sure he died. There is no sense in hunting if you are not going to use the meat. I have taken some bears, black bears, and they have a tenacity and can move very fast. I was lucky and never used my Redhawk but when approaching, I always had my pistol out and did a very slow approach. Many wish to save the skull however it's more humane to not let the animal suffer and if not sure, use your Redhawk. I never had to use mine, however Sh=t can happen and not worth the risk. This is just my personal experience and that's the only advice I am able to give.
    Tommy

5. JEBar

JEBar New Member

thanks for taking the time to respond, I couldn't agree more .... as already noted, years ago I hunted black bear and have taken them with a pistol but I've never taken a big bear .... don't know that I ever will, that type of hunting remains a dream

6. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I don't have experience with 300gr. bullets in the .44 magnum. But I did work out a load for the Cast Performance 260gr. Wide Flat Nose Gas Check hard cast lead bullet using H110 about 5 years ago. In my crude testing it has extreme penetration compared to my 240gr.HPXTP bullet load. If memory serves correct,Cast Performance has .44 bullets up to 320gr. They can give you load data. As VTHILLMAN stated, the heavier bullets may reduce case capacity enough to be a concern? As a side note, the 260gr.W.F.N.G.C. is "nose heavy" and gives about the same powder capacity inside the case as does the 240gr.HPXTP I also use. Funny thing is,the 260gr. used more powder than the lighter 240gr. Maybe lead has less resistance to movement in the barrel?

7. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Yes the reduced case capacity can be a concern. I use to deer hunt with a New Model Super Blackhawk loaded with 300g XTP bullets and after downing an 8 pointer with a spine shot,I went up to finish it and at point blank range shot him again and it still didn't die and had to shoot him a 3rd time. During processing I noticed the 2nd shot hit a rib and turned and lodged in the shoulder blade. The 3rd shot went between the ribs,hit the opposite shoulder blade,turned and followed the leg bone to the knee and stopped. On smaller deer they worked fine but didn't have enough power to penetrate the shoulders on a full grown buck. Just my 2 cents,that might have been a fluke but I steer away from them in the 44 mag for hunting purposes now.

8. JEBar

JEBar New Member

interesting .... opinion respected but that hasn't been our experience .... for us the 44mag has proven to be a very effective deer hunting cartridge .... since starting this thread we've done a good bit of research and am leaning toward maximum loads pushing a 240 gr Nosler JHP and maximum loads behind Barnes 300 Grain Flat Nose Flat Base Buster Handgun Bullets.... which I'd load into the Redhawk is still a bit of a question

9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Buffalo Bore Ammunition 44 Remington Magnum +P+

The below velocities tell the story.

•5.5 inch factory stock Red Hawk - 1401 fps
    •7.5 inch factory stock Red Hawk - 1478 fps

Technical Information

•Caliber: 44 Remington Magnum +P+
    •Bullet Weight: 340 Grains
    •Bullet Style: Lead Flat Nose Gas Check
    •Case Type: Brass

Ballistics Information: