Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought some .410 000 buck handgun ammo and I was wondering what difference there is between this and regular .410 ammo. And is it safe to shoot out of a smooth bore?

Thanks.

·
Banned
410 Posts
Well both say they are 2 1/2. The green shotgun shell measures 2 - 1/4 inches and the handgun one measures 2 - 5/16ths
WEll...So much for that:rolleyes: I think I'll buy some and try them in my Governor. I really like the idea behind them and 2250 is pretty potent if I remember right..... I would say NO issue shooting out of a smooth bore....I will.

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank You Duchs!! I'm not AFRAID....I'M NOT AFRAID. LOL

Walmart had them for $14.77 for twenty. Never shot 000 buckshot before. This should be fun.

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From the reviews I read people are getting really tight groups at 15ft with them. So thats four of them in one shot. Whats a 000 buckshot in caliber?

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
You might remember the "Street sweeper" that came out in the 1980's. It used a standard .410 shell and it was a butt kicker. I could have bought one for $150.00 but I was being a cheap skate and wouldn't part with my money. I can't believe how stupid I was back then and how I am getting worse now.

Tommy

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
From the reviews I read people are getting really tight groups at 15ft with them. So thats four of them in one shot. Whats a 000 buckshot in caliber?
It's .36"............ For some strange reason that would be called .38 caliber.
I've read about people loading one or even two 000B pellets in .357 Mag cases.
Never wanted to try it myself.

000 Buckshot out of a .410 handgun or even a long gun should be a blast. :D
Have fun...........We're waiting for a range report.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
7,454 Posts
Is it the fact that the shorter load is star crimped and the longer is roll crimped...?

Take a picture of the top of the loads for us...

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WEll...So much for that:rolleyes: I think I'll buy some and try them in my Governor. I really like the idea behind them and 2250 is pretty potent if I remember right..... I would say NO issue shooting out of a smooth bore....I will.
You have one of these?

Attachments

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
Hi shooter13, I get it. You Mean Like this.
But why is the brass casing bigger?
No realistic idea why the brass (could be brass coated steel) is longer. You can check for steel with a magnet if you want.
IMHO the extra length is OK because the 000B load is not crimped-over on the front. That way it doesn't need the space to open up when fired.

Had to get my $0.02 worth in. :waving:

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got my digital caliper on it. And it's a couple hairs fatter too.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
7,454 Posts
Just as I suspected...

the green round is star crimped...which pulls the plastic hull inward to finish the round.

the red round is roll crimped...which leaves the top of the round and it's contents exposed...and adds that fraction of an inch to it's overall length.

The brass ( high or low ) has nothing to do with the overall length...

but... that extra fraction of an inch will diminish the load capacity of a mag tube by one when used in a shotgun.

And there you have it.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts