.41 special

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by Twodollarpistol, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Twodollarpistol

Twodollarpistol New Member

I own 2 .41 mag blackhawks. One a three screw and the other a new model. They are my favorite woods walking guns. I don't use either for hunting so my go to load is a 210 gr cast swc "cowboy action" loads. These are pretty mild but plenty for my needs.
    My question is does anyone have any experiance with .41 special loads or load data for rolling my own. Just thought it would be neat to try them.
    TDP

2. gwpercle

gwpercle Member

Many years ago I wrote to Guns and Ammo requesting similar load data, recieved the following: With Lyman mould # 410459 (220 gr.) or # 410032 (215 gr.), cast with Lyman #2 alloy mix , over 8.0 grs. Unique and standard primer would give about 900 fps and be accurate.....from no less than Elmer Keith himself. I still have the letter.

I have also found 7.5 grs. of Unique to work well for 850 fps and to be an accurate load.
    Ken Waters , in his pet loads for the 41 mag. states these cast bullets with 6.5 grains Red Dot and standard primers are good. I have obtained some Red Dot and will be trying it soon myself. Several other reloaders have written favorably of the Red Dot and 41 " special " load.

If you get a blackening or powder burn around the case mouth, the lower pressure loads may not be expanding the case mouth enough to seal it , my magnum brass was very tough , so I annealed (softened) the case mouth and the problem was solved. Just anneal the half that holds the bullet not any furthur down towards the rim/ web area. I use these only to load "special" level loads and keep the harder ones for magnum loads.
    Good luck.

Gary

3. Twodollarpistol

Thanks for the info. That is what Im looking for. I have about 200 pieces of once fired starline brass and was thinking of cutting it to "special" length, whatever that is, and figured I would then have to anneal the mouth. Dont know if that would work or not. Just kicking the idea around after reading an article several years ago. Cant find it now but it had a good amount of data. Long gone I guess.
    I do appreciate you responce and the data.
    TDP

4. DDubya

DDubya Member

You're better off just leaving them at their full length and loading them lighter. There is absolutely no advantage to cutting the cases down. In fact, if you do you will end up with a built up in the space between the end of the short case and where the long case fits particularly if you use lead bullets. This occurs with people who shoot .38 Spl in .357 Mag and .44 Spl in .44 Mag.

5. DDubya

DDubya Member

Just did a search on the .41 Spl and found that it's a custom caliber made by converting a .357 Magnum revolver to .41 caliber with a new barrel and cylinder. These guns are NOT chambered for .41 magnum because the cylinder web and chamber thickness are too thin to handle the higher pressures of the magnum. So these guns will only chamber the shorter (by 1/8") .41 Spl cartridge. As I stated above, you can save yourself a lot of time and effort by just light loading the standard .41 Mag case. Once you cut down the .41 mag case it cannot be used for .41 mag loads.

I understand the lure of the .41 SPL as my favorite caliber is .44 SPL. I have 4 guns chambered in that caliber and only 2 in .44 Magnum. All of my .44 SPL guns are on smaller .357 mag size frames rather than the larger .44 Mag frames. Makes for a smaller and easier to handle gun as long as I don't load them too hot. If I want a hot load I just pick up one of the .44 Magnums.

6. Twodollarpistol

Guys, I really do appreciate the info. I am surprised about the history of the .41 special. I guess I assumed it was an older cartridge and that was part of what made it interesting to me. I still want to try to load some and see how they shoot. I also think it is good advice to stay with full length brass, which is what I will do.
    Again guys, thanks so much for the help.
    TDP