Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
The New Model Blackhawk should not have a ring completely around the cylinder. It will develop a mark just before the notch. It will have the cylinder notch, then a clear spot, then a mark leading into the next cylinder notch. Like this...
blackhawknormalcylinderringwitharrow_zpsbe17430e.jpg

A ring all the way around the cylinder indicates out of time or mis handling.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Spinning the cylinder with the hammer partially pulled and fanning can cause an exaggerated ring. As long as it is still locking up tight, it is fine. If it bothers you, get a birchwood casey blue touchup pen. You'll hardly notice it.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Most revolvers will develop the wear ring on the cylinder. It is common for a ring to be seen if the gun has been shot much. If a person claims a revolver has not been shot except by the factory but the cylinder has a very visible turn line then the gun has been shot and more than a few times for sure.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Have a Redhawk 41mag. My only complaint was the stock grips. They look good, but are too small IMHO, even in my hands which aren't all that big. They don't look nearly as good, but a set of Pachmyrs made this piece much more well-mannered.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Very excited

Just acquired my first .41mag. Blackhawk 4 5/8" blue, has had 7 rounds through it and sat in safe for years.
This will change, it will be shot. Mostly with powder coated bullets over a case full off of Trail Boss.

What is some favorite .41 loads?

·
Registered
575 Posts
... Trail Boss.

What is some favorite .41 loads?
You said it. I fill the case to the level of the base of a seated bullet. I have had excellent results with Trail Boss and use it in all my single action loads. I still use standard cast and lubed bullets. I haven't had issues as long as the bullet is .001 over bore, but I should give powder coated a try.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Love powder coated bullets. No leading / no worries. Barrel actually cleans itself.

I shoot cowboy action and use the powder coated bullets extensively in .357. Biggest plus, use different color bullets to identify different loads. I have purple 95gr cowboy loads. Lime green 115 gr cowboy loads. Red 158 gr hunting loads.

My buddy bought a .327Fed Blackhawk. The barrel was extremely fouled. He got cheap. Shot 5 cylinders full of powder coated bullets. Each cylinder shot more accurate than the last. Barrel now looks brand new.

On a side note, they are cheap, with the benefit of jacketed bullets. I got 1500 .358 powder coated from Egglestons for $90, shipped to my door.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts