40 S&W in a 10mm GP-100?

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by sudo, Jul 12, 2018.

1. sudo

sudo New Member

Can you shoot 40 S&W in the new 10mm GP-100s?

Seems like it should be possible with moonclips.

Or is there something I'm missing?

2. 71magna

71magna New Member

I’m still trying to figure out why have a semi-auto round for a revolver. A .41 mag or 44 are better hunting cartridges

Pancho_Villa likes this.

3. sudo

sudo New Member

Lower cost ammo, and more easily available -- in the case of the 40 S&W -- would be one reason.

Plus faster reloading with moon clips.

It has worked well for over 100 years with 45 acp revolvers.

4. 0311

0311 Member

I don’t know why you couldn’t shoot 40’s out of it. They should work just fine.

5. 71magna

71magna New Member

Lower cost? Not if you reload. .41 and .44 are more powerful and give you a better range of variety in loads. 45 acp moon clips have never been popular in revolvers

6. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

No reason that you can't shoot 40 S&W out of a double action revolver using moon clips. Be about the same as shooting a 38 special out of a 357 magnum, or a 44 special out of a 44 magnum.

Most shooters do not reload. I do and here are some velocity figures out of my guns.

The 180 grain 10 mm travels 1300 fps out of my SR1911. The same as a 180 grain 357 out of my Blackhawk.

The 41 mag 210 grain travels at 1350 out of my blackhawk, so it computes to have around 170 more foot pounds of energy than the 10mm.

The 10mm has been effective on the few feral pigs I have shot with it. I have shot more with the 41 Magnum. It works well too. I doubt the pig cares which one you shoot with it.

The 41 Magnum is the more obscure of the two, it is more expensive to shoot, even if you reload. The 40 S&W has been popular for a long time, the 10mm is the up and coming cartridge. The 41 Magnum has wallowed around in obscurity ever since it's creation, appreciated only by it's devotees. Components, namely bullets, are cheaper for the 40 caliber.

I prefer the 41 Magnum. But that's just me.

Moon clips not popular? Where did you get that notion? They have been used for over 100 years now. Most people do not shoot rimless cartridges in DA revolvers, but some do, 45acp, 9mm Luger, 40 S&W have long been popular in revolvers. Even the 380 has proven to be a decent seller in revolvers. Now the 10mm is up and coming. Moon clips are much more common than the 41 Magnum. S&W, Ruger, Taurus, Colt, Chiapoa, and Charter Arms have all offered revolvers that utilize moon clips. Some revolvers using rimmed cartridges are even set up for moon clips to give that competitive edge. Moon clips are the absolute fastest way to recharge an empty revolver.

7. 0311

0311 Member

45 acp moon clips have never been popular in revolvers? I guess all of the folks shooting ICORE, USPSA, and IDPA don’t count.

sudo and greg_r like this.
  8. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Thank you!

0311 likes this.
  9. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Back to your original question. Yeah, the .40 should fire ina 10mm. I had a buddy call me about that a week ago. Seems his friend was wanting a 10 cause it was the "new" thing. He had discussed the caliber thing with his son. Both of hem have large caliber revolvers and felt no need tora 10 in their collections. I felt much the same.

Guess if ya got oone, that's grreat. Something to tinker with if ya wanna do the 40 in it. Not something I would want to do.

Been a while since I had a revolver with moon clips. Had a Webley .455 that had been converted to shoot .45 acp with moon clips back in the 80s. It was fun and quick to reload. My buddy had a 1917 S&W revolver that also fired .45 acp with moon clips. Both were nice shooting pistolas. Wish I still had the Webley.