Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned/own handguns in .380, .38, 9mm, .38, .357, .40, and .45. I have to say that .40 is my favorite caliber to shoot. I find myself to be more accurate with a handgun that has more kick/snap in the recoil than tamer calibers. I don't know if I concentrate more because of the increase in recoil, but that's how it works out. While it seems that a lot of people are getting rid of their .40 cal firearms, and do not want to shoot .40 anymore, I embrace the caliber, and will probably work my way down to that caliber exclusively in the future. The wife is one who thinks that the .40 cal is too snappy. Yet, she has an SP101, so go figure. I enjoy more of a challenge when shooting handguns. I have never owned a .22 pistol. I know that they can help with trigger training for sure, but I never went that route. I save that caliber for rifles. Anybody else for .40 cal.???????????????

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I like the 40 even though it is a bit more expensive than the 9 to shoot. I found the gun makes all the difference in 40 recoil. I found the SR40c tamed the 40 better than Glock or SA. A friend has an SR9c and he was surprised shooting my SR40C as to how the dreaded 40 snap just wasn't there.

·
Banned
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right now, I am shooting it out of a Beretta 96, and an H&K P2000SK..........................both very controllable. Very accurate also......................................

·
Registered
275 Posts
My Sig 229 is in 40, and I really like it. I also have a 357 Sig barrel for it, but I enjoy 40 (and the price vs. 357) so much that I haven't run it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I gotta agree. I shoot my 40 better than anything i have then my 45's comes second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
My Sig p239 in 40 cal is one of my most accurate and fun to shoot handguns in my safe. I don't find it too snappy at all, then again my favorite round is a full house 44 mag.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I suspect that 'snappiness' is at least partly a function of the gun that's shooting it. My Tanfoglio Witness .40 moved enough to slow down target re-acquisition compared to the Witness 9. The S&W M&P40 seemed quicker for me. My new favorite .40 is my Hi-Point carbine though. ;)

·
Special Dance Instructor
924 Posts
Have a Beretta PX4 40 cal sub compact with so much snap I call it "Ginger".
Don't shoot it much and prefer 45 cal..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've owned/own handguns in .380, .38, 9mm, .38, .357, .40, and .45. I have to say that .40 is my favorite caliber to shoot. I find myself to be more accurate with a handgun that has more kick/snap in the recoil than tamer calibers. I don't know if I concentrate more because of the increase in recoil, but that's how it works out. While it seems that a lot of people are getting rid of their .40 cal firearms, and do not want to shoot .40 anymore, I embrace the caliber, and will probably work my way down to that caliber exclusively in the future. The wife is one who thinks that the .40 cal is too snappy. Yet, she has an SP101, so go figure. I enjoy more of a challenge when shooting handguns. I have never owned a .22 pistol. I know that they can help with trigger training for sure, but I never went that route. I save that caliber for rifles. Anybody else for .40 cal.???????????????
I'm with you on the .40! Love it! More kick than a 9 and a tad more expensive, but it is very tame in my SR40c. My wife can shoot it just fine too, although she mentioned she wouldn't want to go any higher than a .40..... I just don't feel a 9 is enough, and the 45 is only marginally more capable than .40 and more expensive to fire!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts