38spl versus 9MM

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by buster40c, Apr 22, 2017.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Here is an interesting video on comparison of 38 spl to 9mm considering barrel lengths and revolver versus semi auto/
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rPTk8raXdo[/ame]

2. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

Interesting view, 7 to 10 yards would be the proper test of the LC9 and the snub nosed revolver. I agree that no matter what firearm you chose practice is mandatory if you plan to carry.;)

3. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

I prefer to shoot .38 spl over 9mm, especially when it loaded into an SP101 .357 mag. The weight of the SS SP101 helps offset recoil.

4. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

This video definitely makes one think. Although I carry my SR1911 9mm I have often thought about a small revolver. In the summertime here, the heat can be unbearable and a lighter pistol would make a difference in weight. However for myself, it's much easier to carry and extra magazine pouch than a speed loader. Also, most of your gun fights would be under 20 feet. I guess it's a toss up on which you are more comfortable with and what works best for you. Either way you go, it takes a lot of practice!!!!

Tommy

5. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I either carry my LCRX or one of my Kahr's. The LCRX is 38 special, the Kahr is either a 380 or a 45 acp. I have never been a fan of the 9mm but I am trying to make it my primary. I just can't do it, but it is my choice for a car gun and a nightstand gun.

Honestly I don't think it matters much what caliber you use. Just as long as the bullets get to the vitals and they are placed right.

6. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Like they say 1 hit is better than 10 misses. One hit even with a 22lr could be better than 8 misses with a 45.

7. JohnR

JohnR New Member

The video was well done. He eliminated just about every variable except the shooter, which 99% of the time is really the only difference.

He was more accurate with revolvers, others may be more accurate with semis. Shoot what you're most accurate with, and speed will follow.

8. noylj

noylj New Member

Did they match the breech to muzzle length for both? Most revolver/auto tests LOVE to ignore the fact that the "true" barrel length is breech to muzzle.

9. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

That could be because the barrel length factor needs to be included in a conjectural morass with the sight radius factor and the blowback vs cylinder gap factor. Cinching all that stuff up to get to a solid conclusion is apt to get messy. A simple hole in the argument is cleaner, and the larynx-lubricant goes down easier.

10. JohnR

JohnR New Member

That would affect velocity, but not practical accuracy over such a short distance.

11. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

Every time I try to play the vid, the app crashes. Not cool.