Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is an interesting video on comparison of 38 spl to 9mm considering barrel lengths and revolver versus semi auto/
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rPTk8raXdo[/ame]

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
Interesting view, 7 to 10 yards would be the proper test of the LC9 and the snub nosed revolver. I agree that no matter what firearm you chose practice is mandatory if you plan to carry.;)

·
Registered
499 Posts
I prefer to shoot .38 spl over 9mm, especially when it loaded into an SP101 .357 mag. The weight of the SS SP101 helps offset recoil.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
This video definitely makes one think. Although I carry my SR1911 9mm I have often thought about a small revolver. In the summertime here, the heat can be unbearable and a lighter pistol would make a difference in weight. However for myself, it's much easier to carry and extra magazine pouch than a speed loader. Also, most of your gun fights would be under 20 feet. I guess it's a toss up on which you are more comfortable with and what works best for you. Either way you go, it takes a lot of practice!!!!

Tommy

·
Registered
685 Posts
I either carry my LCRX or one of my Kahr's. The LCRX is 38 special, the Kahr is either a 380 or a 45 acp. I have never been a fan of the 9mm but I am trying to make it my primary. I just can't do it, but it is my choice for a car gun and a nightstand gun.

Honestly I don't think it matters much what caliber you use. Just as long as the bullets get to the vitals and they are placed right.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like they say 1 hit is better than 10 misses. One hit even with a 22lr could be better than 8 misses with a 45.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The video was well done. He eliminated just about every variable except the shooter, which 99% of the time is really the only difference.

He was more accurate with revolvers, others may be more accurate with semis. Shoot what you're most accurate with, and speed will follow.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Did they match the breech to muzzle length for both? Most revolver/auto tests LOVE to ignore the fact that the "true" barrel length is breech to muzzle.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Did they match the breech to muzzle length for both? Most revolver/auto tests LOVE to ignore the fact that the "true" barrel length is breech to muzzle.
That could be because the barrel length factor needs to be included in a conjectural morass with the sight radius factor and the blowback vs cylinder gap factor. Cinching all that stuff up to get to a solid conclusion is apt to get messy. A simple hole in the argument is cleaner, and the larynx-lubricant goes down easier.

·
Registered
114 Posts
That would affect velocity, but not practical accuracy over such a short distance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts