38 Special ammo supply conformity

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by VThillman, May 13, 2017.

1. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Now that I have three carry-type revolvers in 38 Special, I want to shoot range bullets that are the same weight as my chosen SD round. I prefer the SD round to be a commercial loading, to remove one finger from the prosecutor's tally of arguments. I have decided on the Winchester 'Law Enforcement Ammunition' branded 'Ranger", specifically because it has not been labeled 'blood thirsty killer' ammo by the libtards (or anyone else). It features a 130gr bonded jacketed hollow point bullet driven by a +P load.

Practice rounds will be both FMJ and hard-cast lead, also 130gr. I hope to drive them at high non +P velocities. I will determine at the range the differences in POA among the three loadings.

This plan is amenable to change, based both on range results and your knowledgeable opinions. So lets have some opinions. Don't be overly considerate of my feelings; I am on the far side of Mature Mountain, both physically and mentally, and can handle it.

2. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

The slower bullets will likely print higher than the faster ones due to dwell time, but the difference will be minimal at the ranges you will most likely be shooting.

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Got it. I wonder if the difference will be further minimized by the short barrel lengths I am dealing with.

Spent more of my tax refund on a .35 Lee swaging kit & gas checks, now that I am getting into lead bullets in that caliber. Probably won't need gas checks for 38 Special, but expect to try them in the 357 guns around here. The 77/357 will probably insist on gas checks.

4. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

.358 or .359 I hope? I don't like gas checks in revolver rounds, doubt that you would need them out of a rifle either. But that's just me and an opinion I got from reading Elmer Keith. They sell a lot of them though.

I do use gas checks in rifle rounds though. Anything that goes faster than 1500 fps I will start considering them.

5. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I use them in 44 Magnum loads, both for the Browning B-92 (.432 groove diameter) and for the two revolvers, with the bullets swaged to.430 and gas checks installed during the swage operation. No lead fouling noted. Mine not to question why it works in the rifle. Having the brass next to the powder eases my paranoia, anyway.

6. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Maybe try 125 grain bullets at a standard loading and see how that compares to a 130 grain +p?

7. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Yeah thought about that. Thinking that 5gr. ain't enough difference, but 10gr. might be. After that ephemeral range day I may have more data to work with.