357mag VS.45 acp.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Blaze, May 30, 2013.

1. Blaze

Blaze New Member Lifetime Supporter

Yes I know this has been done many hundreds of times but just like to see new opinions from others..
    Give your reasons why and what you prefer .

2. dutchs

dutchs New Member Lifetime Supporter

I like Semi automatic pistols and I don't know for sure but I have no recollection of one in .357 mag.. I like the .45acp better anyway. I just like the way it shoots.

3. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I've had a couple .357s and didn't really care for either 1 of them(I prefer 44 mags myself) but I had a 1911 45 acp I just loved. Wish I hadn't had to sell it and hopefully some day can buy it back :).

4. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Are you speaking in terms of general purpose or just for SD purposes. For SD, it it is hard to beat either one, except of the limitations of number of rounds in a revo chambered in .357. I would prefer an auto pistol for SD, so it would have to be a .45 acp for that purpose. Have 4 of the .45 auto pistols I use more than anything else in an auto. As a general purpse firearm, I would use a .357. Mostly cause of the .38 spls. which I shoot the most of for plinking and such. Hate losing brass like with the auto pistols cause I reload for both. And it is still right up there for SD in .357 if ya have nothing else. Other things to consider about .357s is muzzle flash in dark areas and recoil recovery time with hot loads.

If I had to make choice of one or the other, it would be the .45 in an auto pistol. It does everying the other round does and for serious work and ya have more capacity in most cases and faster reloads.

5. LCR-lover

LCR-lover Member

They have different purposess in my opinion. I once leaned up a 2x4 against a old barn wall and fired a .357 at it and it went through it and then the wall and into the ground. The .45 went in and stopped but the 2x4 was flung back at me showing that it absorbed all of its energy because it did not go through. So the .357 if you are shooting at something that needs a lot of penetration ( a large muscular man with heavy clothing,leather jacket). But if it is not something out of the ordinary the .45 delivers a lot of shock to the body. I once read an account given by a sheriff chasing a bank robber on horseback that got shot in the leg by a .45 auto ( back in the 20's ) his comment was getting shot by a .45 takes all the want to out of you. So I think the .45 auto is best all around gun.

6. jbardellini

jbardellini Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

I prefer the 45 ACP over the 357mag. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. jbardellini

jbardellini Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Supporter

If I remember correctly the desert eagle line up had a 357 mag semi auto. That is the only one I can remember that is not a wheel gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Blaze

I'm a .45 fan and love the round. But my experience growing up was always told 357mag was very good ... Dad would never own a semi-auto he was old school and believed revolvers were the best. But I disagreed for many many years but as now I'm older and shot a lot out at the farm & i tend to always go away from the 357 for awhile and use others but in the end I keep making a circle and re loving the 357 every time .. I guess I'm crazy lol

9. bhale187

bhale187 New Member

Both are well proven self defense rounds, and I'm comfortable in using either for such purpose.

If it came down to a hunting round I'd go with the 357mag.

10. Blaze

Heck I'm comfortable with .22mag & .38+P ... And yes I'm probably only Nut that would say that..

11. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

Nothing wrong with that Blaze....:cool:

12. Win94ae

Win94ae New Member

45auto
    [​IMG]

357 Mag
    [​IMG]

When I shoot the 357 at a hardwood log, they penetrate; a 45 bounces off every time. Even a 22 will penetrate a hardwood log somewhat.

13. krss144

krss144 New Member

Well I would say that clears that up :eek:

14. Blaze

Thanks for having my back lol