.357 vs. .45 Colt

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by SavageGuy, Feb 20, 2016.

1. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Alright, I'm debating between these two cartridges for my next handgun. I want to deer hunt but primarily target shoot at 50+ yard targets. I know you can load the Colt up to .44 mag levels but am wondering which of the two is more accurate. I reload so ammo cost won't be an issue. On one hand I already load for the
    .357 but not for the .45 Colt so I would need to buy new dies.
    Let me know what you think!

2. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

I personally wouldn't choose either one in a pistol to either hunt deer or punch paper at 50 yards +. In a rifle- it's a whole 'nother story.

3. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

If I wanted .44 Mag performance I would just go with the .44 Mag.
    You can load it down for plinking and magnum loads shoot amazingly accurate out to 100yd's from my 7.5" Super Blackhawk.
    I got nothing on the .45 Colt. Never had one.

4. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Yeah

Near as I can tell, my excuse for owning a Blackhawk .45 Colt involves the alloy frame for its lightness, and the ready availability of 250-255 grain lead semi-wadcutters (because of the Cowboy Action thing) for plinking. The .45 auto cylinder adds the convenience of inexpensive factory loads - and the bemusement (for me) of adding the equivalent of .70" barrel length.

There are umpteen bullet choices for the .44 Magnum, from 180gr to Sierra's 300 grain JSP that was designed for the cartridge and handguns.

5. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

For deer the 45 Colt doesn't need loading up. The original black powder loading for the Army had to pass through a horse to hit the man on the other side. 6 grains of Unique powder behind a 255 cast bullet will do the job and 200 grn are light plinking load. The 45 Colt can be shot all day and not hurt your hand. Check out handgun hunting magazine if you think handguns wont take game.;)

6. Nogoat

Nogoat New Member

I picked up a Uberti "Colt" in a 45 last summer and found it to be a pleasant shooter inspiration enough to get a 45 rifle.

7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Got all three covered...( Single Action too )

.45 Colt

[​IMG]

.357 Magnum

[​IMG]

.44 Magnum

[​IMG]

8. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Which is your favorite? Most accurate? If you had to recommend one caliber in the Blackhawk?

9. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

The 45 Colt you have must never be subjected to the "Ruger & TC loads". It would kill a deer with standard pressure loads if you kept your distance to 50 yards. The 357 mag has the power but fixed sights, again limiting your distance although not your power. The 44 mag is the only one with the adjustable sights required to accurately shoot varying loads. Still open sights should be kept to under 75 yards for a clean kill. Just my .02s;)

10. SHOOTER13

The favorite is the Colt... ( Bucket List check )...my second favorite is the Bisley Vaquero

The most accurate is the Ruger Blackhawk... ( adjustable sights and longer barrel )

Recommended caliber...definitely the .44 Magnum / Special...( versatility makes it so ).

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
  11. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

I like the .357 mag because you can also shoot .38 special in it.

Attached Files:

12. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

How about .41 magnum?

13. SHOOTER13

How about it...!?

The .41 Magnum never enjoyed the popularity and success of either the .357 Magnum or .44 Magnum cartridges, but is still prized by handgun hunters as some feel it generates somewhat lighter recoil and slightly flatter bullet trajectory at long range than the .44.

Nevertheless, the .44 Magnum still catalogs a greater variety of heavier bullet weight offerings which are more effective on larger game, and boasts a slight edge in power when using the heaviest factory loads, or if pushed to the edge by handloading (heavier bullets or bullets of different types). The .41 Magnum has been cited as "one of our most unappreciated calibers."

I myself never seen the need to buy a firearm chambered in one...as I own a few .357's ...and .44 Special / .44 Magnum's.

14. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

That's the same reason I never owned one. (The .41 Mag).
    And probably why it never gained as much popularity as the above calibers.