357 Mag 180gr WFNGC & H110/296 load needed

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by MagBlackhawk, Jun 2, 2015.

1. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I will be using the Cast Performance 180gr Wide Flat Nose Gas Check hard cast lead bullet.

The bullets are available. Hope to find more H110 soon. I'll get both when time/availability allows.

I'll carry this load in my 357 Blackhawk as back up while hog hunting with a rifle.

Any load data and information on this or a similar bullet with H110/296 will be much appreciated.
    My email to Cast Performance has not been answered yet. May try calling them next.

Thanks for any information on this type of load.

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

As mentioned in another thread, my load for this bullet using H110 is 13.0 - 13.1 grains. This is a 1st trial load, derived from the Hornady manual, watching for leading in my Ruger 77/357. There is no leading, and it is reasonably accurate. Since my interest at this time is max velocity with minimal leading, my next trial will up the charge to 13.7 grains of H110, this load derived from the Hornady manual listing for W296. Hodgdon says that W296 and H110 are the same powder.

If the Lyman manual's load listings are used, I am not even approaching max load. I suspect that, if 13.7 grains gives good results, I'll be satisfied.

Muzzle velocities from a handgun will be such that no leading is likely to result from this hardened alloy gas-checked bullet; so the loads we settle on may well be different. I will (I hope) keep you utd on my findings anyway.

BTW I haven't looked at the Hodgdon site, but the Lee manual uses test results coming from the powder companies. Their max load for 180 grain jacketed bullet using H110 is 13.5 grains.

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I should have included the datum that H110 13.1 grains burns completely and reasonably clean in my rifle; haven't tried that load in my Blackhawk. Ran a couple cylinders-full through the Rhino, but don't remember what the bore looked like afterward (damn it).