Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Well, I can only suggest you wait until you get your GP100 before breaking caps in Buffalo Bore. Easier on the hand, I'm guessing.

The SP101 is a sort of K-frame equivalent, the GP100 like an L-frame. See where I'm going with this? ;)

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
Never tried any Buffalo Bore ammo. It should be a real blast in small .357's.
Just watch out for bullet-pull (crimp jump). Fire one or two and check the remaining rounds to be sure the bullets are staying put.

If you try some, let us know how it performed. :machinegun:

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Mag,
I have never shot Buffalo Bore but from what I hear it is good ammo. Course that's just what I hear. I have a GP100 for the last 25 years and haven't put a hundred rounds through it yet. Someday I am gonna due that! When I did shoot it I used .38 spec.

Tommy

·
Banned
475 Posts
It's probably good ammo, but with todays ammo prices, .357 is .357.....................I just stay away from the steel cased junk, and lately anything Winchester...............

·
Registered
411 Posts
I just stay away from the steel cased junk, and lately anything Winchester...............
If for range/target, why stay away? With the prices of mag loads lately thru the roof, I get whatever is cheapest for my Security Six and my S&W 27.

They spit out anything I stick in it and save a lot of dough too.

Doc

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
7,454 Posts
Buffalo Bore Ammo is worth the price...if you're going to be ringing steel or hunting with it...it's too good for punching just paper.

I've shot the lightest load of 125 grain JHC rated at 1,700 fps and the heaviest load of 180 grain LFN rated at 1,400 fps at steel and it was like ringing a bell...

If you want paper fodder...Sportsman's Guide has both .38 Special and .357 Magnum on sale right now...just bought some myself ( GECO & MAGTECH ).

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...-pistol-ammo/357-magnum-ammo?d=121&c=95&s=923

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...-pistol-ammo/38-special-ammo?d=121&c=95&s=926

·
Registered
147 Posts
Top shelf ammo but high cost for the range. Very accurate from the couple boxes I've sent down range

I roll my own and really like Hornady bullets in various weights and types for accuracy.

I also shoot a lot of lead wad cutters with reduced powder loads. Accurate but very noticeable difference in recoil and sound. Easy shooting, but I'm kinda crazy as I like the, the recoil of the higher loads with jacketed bullets.:cool:

My big issue is the lack of 357 Mag brass. I'm afraid of wearing out my reloaded brass.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
OT, Diamond K usually has .357 Mag 'once fired' cases on hand. Mostly good quality, though the Herters may need the primer pockets chamfered.

·
Banned
475 Posts
If for range/target, why stay away? With the prices of mag loads lately thru the roof, I get whatever is cheapest for my Security Six and my S&W 27.

They spit out anything I stick in it and save a lot of dough too.

Doc
Just like I do not shoot reloads.................I do not shoot steel cased ammo. Especially in semi autos.......................;)

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Top shelf ammo but high cost for the range. Very accurate from the couple boxes I've sent down range

I roll my own and really like Hornady bullets in various weights and types for accuracy.

I also shoot a lot of lead wad cutters with reduced powder loads. Accurate but very noticeable difference in recoil and sound. Easy shooting, but I'm kinda crazy as I like the, the recoil of the higher loads with jacketed bullets.:cool:

My big issue is the lack of 357 Mag brass. I'm afraid of wearing out my reloaded brass.
Had someone not already offered, I could have sent you some .38/.357 brass from the range I go to. My brother shoots a lot of .38/.357 and he has problems finding brass also. When ever I clean up at the range (when done shooting) I always police up my brass, along with others and surprising how much .357 brass I find. They sell it at the range and no one bothers to pick it up. Guess they have more dollars than sense but that works to my advantage.

Tommy

·
Banned
73 Posts
Too expensive to practically punch paper with, not ok to use as carry ammo according to many opinions (it's got that whole "overpowered " stigma), so unless you're going to hunt with it, why bother?? Lol.

·
Jazzed
8 Posts
I sometimes use Buffalo Bore 357 158 gr hollow points in my LCR 357 for carry. Ultra powerful defense round but you need to maintain the correct grip and have the strength and confidence to shoot it out of a 17 ounce snubby. High quality power ammo.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I thought BB was made for low flash and recoil for the smaller 357 guns. Do they actually have lower flash and recoil? I always thought they were to dang expensive.

·
Jazzed
8 Posts
They do make the round you describe above. The LGS I went to only had the regular rounds in stock. It has a most violent recoil in my KCLR 357. I've only shot a few of them at the range. Naturally, I hope to never have to fire them (or any round at all) in self defense. Believe me, as a lawyer and former big city prosecutor I am very careful in any situation as I know what can happen in both the criminal and civil arena.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Jazzed! Welcome to the forum!
Please take a minute to jump over to the introduction section. We like to know who were talking too and love to give a proper welcome :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts