Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's good to see the RPR in Hornady's 300 PRC. Hornady and the US Army worked together on that cartridge for a replacement to the .300 Win mag. The new 300PRC has no "magnum belt" (unnecessary and bad for consistent head spacing) and a longer neck for accommodating longer bullets with weights above 200 grains that have good BCs and retain supersonic flight longer. That cartridge is a finely "tuned" 30 caliber magnum, even more so than the 300 Norma magnum.

So yeah, the RPR in 300PRC is $2,300. or less at "street price" but with a Timney trigger and good suppressor it should be a bargain for F Class shooters. Although I'd much rather shoot my gen. 1 RPR in 6.5 CM in PRS competition than the 300PRC still the 300PRC has its place. And as an all around western hunting cartridge it should also shine, especially with hand loaders. Maybe in the Ruger 77?
Eric B.

·
Registered
177 Posts
My guess is the 300 PRC will end up being another "whiz-bang" cartridge in a few years that no one remembers. Maybe SOCOM will adopt the Barrett MRAD in 300 PRC but I wouldn't hold my breath for that. The Army and Marine Corps placed their orders based on the 3 caliber conversion setup of the MRAD from the original SOCOM ASR as of the 2021 budget. Does anyone besides Hornady even make ammo for it yet? It's been out for 3 years and they probably still only have 2 loads for it.

I agree with you, I think the 6.5 CM is a much better option. At least it's not going to disappear.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"0311", You could be right about the longevity/popularity of the 300PRC. BUT, it has been proven to be a better cartridge than the 300 Norma Magnum in terms of ballistics with 200+ grain bullets which are best for long range targets. And the problem with the old .300 Win mag. is that it headspace off the "belt", which is slightly different brand-to-brand. This is not good. If SOCOM and/or the Big Army want the best 30 caliber magnum then it will be the 300PRC.
As far as the .338 Lapua Magnum it looks like the Big Army may even be moving to the .338 Norma Magnum! Who knows?

SO... some of the "popularity" of the 300PRC will depend on military use and some will depend upon civilian use. As for the latter we civilians now have a cartridge that covers virtually EVERY ballistic niche. Does your current .300 WSM give about the same ballistics as the 300PRC? If so then don't change. But if you want to shoot 200+ gr. bullets then you will likely need to go to the 300PRC for several reasons, among them is powder compression and spiking pressure that causes.

·
Registered
177 Posts
BUT, it has been proven to be a better cartridge than the 300 Norma Magnum in terms of ballistics with 200+ grain bullets which are best for long range targets.
How is it better than the 300 Norma ballistically when the Norma Mag throws the exact same bullets faster? Sure, if you want a shorter action the 300 PRC will be better.

If SOCOM and/or the Big Army want the best 30 caliber magnum then it will be the 300PRC.
As far as the .338 Lapua Magnum it looks like the Big Army may even be moving to the .338 Norma Magnum! Who knows?
SOCOM already awarded the contract to Barrett for the MRAD as the Mk 22 ASR in 338 Norma Mag with conversion kits to 300 Norma Mag and 7.62x51. The Army and USMC just submitted their orders this year for the same Mk22 setup. So we do know. It really just looks like another case of “this is the do all best cartridge ever” we have heard so many times in the past. Ammo company just trying to stay relevant with marketing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts