Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what the big deal is with the 300 AAC blackout myself. This guy explains it very well. I want one but not an AR, a mini-14. But then people keep saying the new Ruger Mini-14 platform is not very accurate. Is this true?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdOavM-Px6Y[/ame]

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@ nogoat, so you think hand loads would help the mini? Or just go with top shelf ammo? I don't understand the problem with the mini's accuracy. Apparently from what I've read the grouping is not as tight as an AR but hell man, close enough. If you want accuracy go with a bolt action.

·
Registered
547 Posts
In my experience if you adjust loads and keep track of the changes shoot 3-5 groups until you get the best. That being said I have not done that for my 30 or ar 762x39 because I'm old guy and if I want a good groups I use a bolt gun. Right now the ammo is to cheap to load

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
I guess this is a new problem, when I was in the service around 1986, I bought a stainless Mini-14 that was more accurate than the Air Force Ar's. That was also the Range Masters opinion as I let him shoot it as well.:confused:

·
Registered
547 Posts
I guess this is a new problem, when I was in the service around 1986, I bought a stainless Mini-14 that was more accurate than the Air Force Ar's. That was also the Range Masters opinion as I let him shoot it as well.:confused:

I had my first mini in the late 70s and it was was terrible in accuracy as was my colt ar, only regret is the early colt is worth a bundle now. I dumped them both because of that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you want a Mini 14, get one and see for your self if it fits your needs. The AR design lends itself to high accuracy potential and it's popularity means there are almost unlimited parts and accessories available. No other rifle is as popular and probably none ever will be. However, the .300 AAC and the Mini 14 is actually a pretty good combo, as neither are "long range" items and have a "practical" range limit of around 300 yards. The same can be said for the AK in 7.62x39mm, and plenty of people seem very happy using them. If you don't like it, sell it and move on. That's what the rest of us "gun nuts" do.

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^^^ Right Timbo, this article pretty much sold me on the newer retooled mini 14 - http://dailycaller.com/2015/06/10/five-reasons-to-reconsider-the-ruger-mini-14/

As the article points out I'm not a fan of the AR platform. To me they look cheap. Plus I like the design with the Garand-style rotating bolt with two large locking lugs.

I called a few shops yesterday and no one had a minni in 300 blackout. Ammo seems readily available in sub and supersonic as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts