.22LR pistol purchase - direction

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by rjtmac, Feb 27, 2014.

1. rjtmac

rjtmac Texan by Birth • Grace

I am going to make a purchase very shortly … presents for the upcoming Christmas. This is going to be a very special Christmas for reasons I won't go into here.

For 10 years I have given my "7 Angels" • Wife, 2 daughters and 4 granddaughters all the same gift for Christmas. They all have 10 Necklaces and Chains from James Avery. This last Christmas was the last year for this tradition. It was somewhat of a landmark that I was here to finish the tradition out.

So that leads me to my quest. I now have "7 Angels" and "Little Devil", gained a grandson by way of second marriage of one of my daughters. So I have gone from a purchase of 7 to a purchase of 7 + 1.

I am going to buy 8 matching .22LR pistols. I am going to order 8 consecutive serial numbers guns. They will be laser engraved. Each will get a certificate giving it's serial number - when they got it - how they got it and they will sign an affidavit that the gun will not be sold or traded unless that is done with another member of the family ( I know that sounds a little lame but I want and keep these in the family ).

I started out with 3 possibles and have really narrowed down to 2. They needed to be in the $300.00 or below range which is one of the reasons one of the 3 got kicked. The choices were the Ruger SR22, Beretta Neos and the Sig Mosquito.

Mosquito went south because of price and research and what I read as far as critiques of the gun were not glowing.

I own 2 Berettas and they are EXCELLENT pistols. Love the guns but they are NOT carrying around pistols. But they would still be a great weapon for everyone to own.

Not to start up any wars on the carry issue, please, but I want a gun that could be used as a carry weapon and the Neos does not fit that criteria.

So that brings us to the SR.

Would you guys here on the forum recommend this gun ? I need a quality unit that will last and I mean last. Research and reading for the most part give the SR great Kudos. I do need help from guys who know this gun.

I appreciate your help and advice.

2. Mrdaputer

Mrdaputer Member

My daughter loves the sr 22 that I picked up for her

3. rjtmac

Thanks - carry criteria is not of primary concern but is a highly considered criteria. The pistol will used as one would expect primarily for training, plinking and target shooting. Kids range in age from 6 - 11 - 14 - 15 - 15. 4 of them have all been shooting now for 2+ years with the youngest just starting last year.

Both sets of parents of the kids shoot and are gun literate as you might say. I want the kids to grow up knowing about, using and respecting guns.

4. Redleg

Redleg New Member

The Ruger SR22P is a great pistol. I have two of them and both are terrific. When I take new shooters to the range the SR22P is always a pleaser; everybody likes it.

I am imagining that you also considered the Ruger MarkIII Hunter or Competition. A better looking gun does not exist. Since ladies are involved, that might be a criterion. :eek:

You won't go wrong with the SR22 though. Great pistola.

5. rjtmac

The Mark III is nice but it was never considered because of weight ( 2 times as heavy ) and length and the shooters will be kids.

I have continued to research and the SR seems like a very solid choice.

The only shortcoming I have come across ( which isn't much of a negative because it can be avoided ) is the failure to cycle with low power ammo. No reviewer or article I saw seemed to have trouble cycling all bulk ammo.

Take down is simple an straight forward. This is a big plus because the kids need to learn to care for their guns.

The interchangeable grip is a plus.

Getting the 8 consecutive serial numbers on any make gun may be a challenge … but we will see.

6. rjtmac

We went through a version of this "finding" the right gun thing for the wife. Started with a 380 LCP. Moved to a Sig Sauer P938. Then had to abandon both of them because of wrist pain. Moved on to a Ruger 22LR LCR which is a great choice for her. She enjoys shooting the gun. She has become very accurate with the pistol after practicing with it and getting used to the long pull. She likes the long pull on the LCR much better than the long pull on the LCP. Much smoother and easier to control.

I really do think she would like the SR. She does very well with the Beretta Neos.

7. Redleg

Redleg New Member

I think that the SR22 will make everyone very happy.
    I do think that the Hunter and Competition are awfully pretty. :cryinglaugh:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. rjtmac

I had group that looked something like that just last week. I had the gun - Beretta Neos - on the bench and in a rest. I believe I was shooting from 6' ….

9. Redleg

Redleg New Member

I was shooting two-handed Weaver stance from 15 yards. Nothing great, but the Hunter is more accurate than I am. Love my Mark III Hunter.

Now if you want to see a group, this was 25 yards with my CZ 452 rifle :cryinglaugh::
    [​IMG]

10. buildit

buildit Goofy Owner

Wondering why the M&P 22 was not considered. I have seen deals under $300. They are not the target masters the MKIII's are but when it comes to a functional training .22LR they mimic the size and shape of higher caliber semi autos very well.

11. rjtmac

In my research I did not find any prices in that range. Not to say they don't exist but just didn't find them.

The M&P is 7 oz heavier than the SR and is 1.2" longer. This is a large consideration since a majority of the guns purchased are going to be used by a young man and 4 young ladies ranging from ages 6 thru 15.

The M&P was in the first consideration list but was dropped for those reasons.

Thanks for your input. Haven't made a final purchase yet so all suggestions and knowledge given is much appreciated.

12. Redleg

Redleg New Member

One thing to know about the M&P22 is that it is notoriously difficult to find magazines for it. Good gun if you like the size, though.

13. buildit

buildit Goofy Owner

Agreed, but I know the Ruger single Six in way over the price limit he set. ;) Hard to think of one 22 that fits all needs and situations. I know young boys tend to think if it looks like the guns they see on TV it's cool. Women tend to like simplicity when first learning but also fear recoil and heavy guns.
    So just a page from my history and a thought for the OP. What about matching sets of 22LR rifles like the 10/22? They can be had in the $200 range, are great for learners, easily changed for different types of shooting.
    Just thinking outside the box again. LOL :D

14. rjtmac

All of the "kids" except the boy, who is the youngest (5) have shot my Kimber Pro Carry II .45 - S&W 38 sp revolver - Sig Sauer P938 and the Ruger 380 LCP. Surprising how well they deal with the sizes, weights and recoils. That being said they would much rather shoot the Beretta Neos .22's any time and make that choice when given one 98% of the time. The also latch on to any opportunity to shoot the wife's Ruger LCR .22.

That is great suggestion and one I had run through the mill but had dismissed it. The kids really love to shoot the 10/22 tactical and they also really like to shoot the Marlin XT Youth .22. They like the bolt action.

Thinking outside the box is very good. Your outside the box thought would save me around $600.00 - $700.00 overall.

I really want to go the pistol route though. The SR comes closest to meeting all my desires.

Talked to my gun dealer today - he is checking on the logistics of getting the serial numbered guns. Wait and see game on that...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  15. Redleg

Redleg New Member

Not that anyone asked my opinion, but I don't imagine that the serial number thingie will be that big of a deal to the kids. Just getting cool and identical guns will be the thing. :machinegun:

16. rjtmac

You are most likely true and that will be the case for a while I am sure.

Down the road in years to come keeping the guns in the family and being serial numbered with a history of each owner it will come into play.

We are a family of history. History and lineage of family and family heirlooms • personal items is an important thing.

On the flip and personal side of this I just thought it would be a kinda "cool" thing to have them serialized and laser engraved. Try to make a group buy made more personal.

This will be another in the list of Christmas presents for my "7 Angels" (Wife, 2 daughters, 4 granddaughters). Of course the 7 Angels have turned into 7 Angels and a "Little Devil" with the recent addition of the grandson.

They ride with me always. A version of the 7 Angels graphic shown below is to be laser engraved on each gun with the slight change of a small pair of horns will be added just below the 7.

[​IMG]

17. buildit

buildit Goofy Owner

I agree. I have a match set of 410 shotguns my dad and I had, never really shoot them much but won't sell them either. ;)

18. Misty1946

Misty1946 New Member

ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1394737783.125539.jpg

I'm NOT a guy but bought mine 2 years ago not a single problem with her a great gun but for my carry gun it's a 357 all the way

19. oldhunter

oldhunter New Member

I know I am a little late in my comments as I have been away for awhile and I never have shot one of these pistols. Am curious if the younger grandchildre are able to rack this gun or not. I realize that they will not be shooting without supervision and if unable to jack a round into the chamber without help, will any become discouraged with the gun? I also have researched this pistol and believe one will be my next purchase.

20. rjtmac

All of the girls can rack the Neos. The grandson cannot yet. I do not believe that will be an issue with him by the time the summer is over. I believe the girls can handle it.

There is a tool on the market - Handi-Racker:

http://www.handi-racker.com/

would be an option for them for a temporary fix if racking was a problem.

Thanks for chiming in.

* Just an update - having a real problem getting a set of consecutive serial number pistols. Have contacted the president of Ruger after countless tries at all other avenues. Haven't heard back from him yet. Been about a month.

Last edited: May 6, 2014