.22LR Chronograph Numbers

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by DonnieD, Aug 28, 2013.

1. DonnieD

DonnieD New Member

Saw an episode of Gun Talk TV last night, should have written down the numbers but I'm rather certain my memory is pretty accurate except for not remembering the brands of each type of ammo that was checked.

They used a Ruger .22 bolt so I assume it was a 77. In any event, some surprises.

CBs - 708 fps
    Standard velocity (subsonic) - 1126
    Velocitors - right at 1240
    CCI Min Mags a real surprise at 1414 fps
    CCI Stingers, wow - 1732 fps

Velocitors were a dud in my opinion, they clocked about that in my Remington Model 597, very little faster than Federal bulk high velocities despite 3X the price and far below the advertised velocity. Don

2. buildit

buildit Goofy Owner

I have yet to test any of my .22's on the chrony. I'll try to remember this thread when I do. ;)

3. dutchs

dutchs New Member Lifetime Supporter

I would actually be very interested in seeing the results from that buildit. ...please do.

Sent from my VS950 4G using Ruger Forum mobile app

4. DonnieD

DonnieD New Member

The only ammo I have chronographed was the CCI Velocitors through a Remington 597 semi auto. It was right in line with the numbers reported by Gun Talk TV. Don

5. buildit

buildit Goofy Owner

So finally had some time to play around and enough variety of ammo to make it interesting. ;) Using my Ruger Single Six I shot 6 rounds of each ammo from 10 ft thru the chrono. I then threw out the highest reading making it five shot averages for each ammo.
    First up was the Aguila 20 grain with no powder, the slowest ammo I have.
    Avg speed was 609fps with a Standard Deviation of 8.

Second in line was the CCI .22 Quite 40gr listed on the box as 710 fps.
    Avg speed was 619fps with a Standard Deviation of 20.

Third is CCI Mini Mag 40 grain listed on the box as 1235fps.
    Avg speed was 996fps with a Standard Deviation of 18.

Fourth is the popular Remington .22 Golden Bullet Hollow Point 36 grain listed as 1280 fps on the box.
    Avg speed was 1070fps with a Standard Deviation of 23.

Fifth is Winchester 36 grain hollow point ammo listed at 1280fps on the box.
    Avg speed was 1043fps with a Standard Deviation of 10.

Last is the also popular Federal Automatch 40 grain round listed as 1200fps on the box.
    Avg speed was 1055fps with a Standard Deviation of 11.

------ Looking at the numbers and overall performance the Federal Automatch ammo impresses me the most for consistency in velocity and speed per overall grains. The Popular Remington Golden Bullet which comes in buckets was all over in velocities by comparison with a high speed of 1110fps and low of 1052fps.
    Obviously most of us don't have a lot of choice in the 22 ammo we shoot due to lack of supplies. However keep these numbers in mind next time you think the price is too high or low as it may be a deal or a rip off depending on what you plan to use it for.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

6. harrise

harrise New Member

I definitely appreciate you returning to this thread with some numbers. Just last week I started down the road of figuring all this junk out and have a greater respect for what the smallest of variables do to flight path. I'm still stuck using the box info for now...

7. buildit

buildit Goofy Owner

Glad I could contribute to the information. Obviously since I used a pistol my numbers are lower but the comparison between repeatable velocities should still be valid. ;)

8. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

Great report...awesome job. I have always loved Federal Automatch.......its just so hard to come by...