22lr ammo availability

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by enzo, Aug 13, 2013.

1. enzo

enzo New Member

Is all the 22lr ammo being sucked up by alien space craft? I can't find 22lr ammo anywhere. CCI Mini Mag 40 is like panning for gold. What gives???

2. DJ1300

DJ1300 New Member

I could be wrong , but the way I understand it is that the Ammo company's use the same powder in all rifle rounds and they can make more money with larger calibers.

An there is the Federal Government Infinity Ammo order that has to be filled first by the major US ammo company's.

Last week I paid $5.99 a box for the off brand of 50 rounds. The CCI's $12 to $19 a box of 50. The stores here seem to be getting a little more of a inventory each month, hopefully the value boxes of 22lr will start showing up again with lower prices.

I would not have bought the 4 boxes of 50, but planning to take a CCW Class soon and will need them then.

3. blademan52

blademan52 New Member

The .22lr ammo shortage has become quite a problem over the past few months. There is a huge amount of hoarding going on as well as profiteering. CCI manufactures 4 million rounds of rimfire ammo a day. The other majors probably do likewise. I personally know of a case of a person that visited the major sports store in Las Vegas looking for .22lr. He was told to come back the next day as a large shipment,700 bulk packs, was coming in during the night. This guy was there when the doors opened the next day and headed straight for the gun counter. When he asked about the shipment it had indeed been delivered as promised. When he asked what he was allowed to buy he found out that there were only 10 boxes left out of 700 boxes. He was told that the employees buy up all they can, using their employee discount, from each delivery and then re-sell it on local gun forums for a hefty profit. This is bad business practice by the management at this huge chain store. No doubt that this is going on all over America. I wouldn't doubt that the Obama administration has their hand in on this shortage too. I work in a gun shop and my boss has been told by some major ammo manufacturers that the Obama administration has told them that they have to play ball with the administration or lose their government ammo contracts. If they don't comply it would cost them millions of dollars in lost sales. Don't you just love the extortion going on here!

4. harrise

harrise New Member

I freakin' kid you not... Right before I read this I saw a post on a local forum from a new Cabela's employee who has buckets and bricks for sale. Double or more the shelf cost, of course. The new stores don't open until Thursday and their people are out there cashing in already.

I won't buy it like that, I refuse. I'll stop shooting and lube them up for the long term before I give in to this CRAP!!! Gawh, I get so worked up over these turds out there doubling the price of everything just because they have the advantage of being there or being in the supply line. F' this stuff.

5. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

Its miserable to get 22lr ammo.....the shops in my area gets some 22 every so often and they will only sell 2 boxes to each customer. That's being fair in all....but two boxes is not much if your really going to spend a day at the range. I had gotten some 22 off gunbroker.....but you have to watch it everyday to find a fair deal.....a lot of gouging going on that site.....And as long as hoarders keep paying the price it will never go down.....

6. Excavator99

Excavator99 New Member

My local Cabela's had 3 cases of Winchester 525 bricks @ $23.97. Limit of 1 brick per customer. There was a line of 20 people at the door at 8:30 for an opening at 9. It was all gone by 9:10. Very crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Ruger Forum

7. bhale187

bhale187 New Member

Local walmart manager told me the employees are doing the same thing

8. OldTexan

OldTexan New Member

In past 10 days here in the Houston area where I check stores as I go about my business.
    I've purchased:

1 box limit at Carter Country. Fed target rn lead 325 round brick $23.99

1 box limit at different Carter Country. Fed hp fmj 325 round "sardine can" $19.99

2 box limit at Collectors Firearms. CCI Min Mag 36gr hp fmj $10.75 box

Found 525 round Fed at a small country gun store for $70.00. Didn't buy.

Nothing found at Academy's, Wally World's, Bass Pro's, or Gander Mtn's.

Carter Country has 4 stores locally and I've bought numerous guns, reloading equipment and supplies from them over the years. They have been fair and consistent with distributing what ammo they get and kept prices as close to normal as they can. For these reasons they have proven to me how a professional organization works and they will get my business over and above all others. I'll guarantee their employees are not exploiting the situation like the others mentioned.

We need to let all vendors know we have memories of how we are treated in hard times and their future business will be effected by it.

9. rjtmac

rjtmac Texan by Birth • Grace

I have been paying WAY TOO MUCH for the 22LR ammo I have been purchasing. On the other hand it does seem to be available in a more steady stream.

I "reckon" the days of $15.00 - $18.00525 t0 555 Count Bricks are long gone. I have resigned myself to the fact that 22 ammo is just going to cost more. I have been purchasing .07¢ to .09¢ stuff when I can get it. My big kick is having to pay the "rape" shipping charges on top of my orders that are usually limited to 1 box. My justification is that it is cheaper than ammo than for my .45 - the 9 mils - the 380, the 38 special or the AR. Those don't travel in the range bag very often.

I have five 22LR guns and 11 people shooting them. (My two girls, their hushbands, 5 grandkids, the wife and me) With my own little range outside the back door we can go through 500-750 rounds pretty quick. They are all home every 4-6 weeks and the wife and I go out a couple of times a week at least.

I have finally forced myself to quit running a running calculator tape in my head every time I hear a bang. Less queasy feelings and a better appetite after the range time is done.

The Wal Mart thing tends to piss me off also. I have had 3 or 4 occassions where I have been told by Wal Mart department managers that at least "X" amount of ammo will be in tomorrow only to go back and be there when the truck arrives and be told that "NONE" came in.

I am fairly new to the gun thing and when I started a couple of years ago ammo was everywhere and for decent money. Oh how times have changed.

I received a notification 2 days ago that (I forget the company) had 22LR Bulk 10,000 round boxes available - for right at $1300.00. What is crazy is if I had the cash available I might have been tempted • NOT. They did have free shipping .... LOL

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Thread moved to the correct subforum: AMMO & RELOADING

11. harrise

harrise New Member

Just got my MidwayUSA email and grabbed some thunderbolt for a reasonable amount.

Stupid Gmail update kept me in the dark the last two cycles.

12. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Got some American Eagle plated HP at Bass Pro in Council Bluffs, Iowa a couple weeks ago. 3 box limit, 40 to a box, $2.99 per box. They seem to be getting match ammo too but I don't use it. Might as well get a .17 HMR, I can always find that stuff...

13. sharpshooterassassin

sharpshooterassassin New Member

Up here in Alaska, .22lr is the hardest to find. In Anchorage the only big box sporting goods store we have is Sportsmans Warehouse (until Bass Pro & Cabelas open sometime next year). Walmart and some other mom and pops sporting goods stores people have a timeline down when their ammo shipments come in and wait in line before the store opens or they stay in the stores all day waiting for their ammo shipments to come in. When they do, they buy up especially the .22lr ammo and sell it online for up to $120.00 per brick! It's sickening! My neighbor who's retired has pretty much made a part-time job at buying ammo and then re-selling it for a hefty profit! Other calibers .380, 9mm, .40, .45, .223 and such are slowly trickling in and if you look hard enough, you can find it although limited to so many boxes per day. I think the good ol days of taking the kids out teaching them how to shoot and shooting cans off a fence post is long gone along with the dodo bird.

14. spikedriver

Patience, Sharpshooter. It's starting to ease up a little. All will be well.

15. Blaze

Blaze New Member Lifetime Supporter

My sister guy managed to buy to boxes of cci 500 rds yesterday for $32 so price is finally coming down I just paid $39 for same ones a month and half ago from same shop.

16. spikedriver

You're right Blaze. Locally, Jax had about 10 cases of Winchester 555s a couple weeks ago, for 31 bucks. It's still pretty thin out there, but its getting better.

17. Blaze

Blaze New Member Lifetime Supporter

Hopefully it all will get better soon. But I think the light at end of tunnel is much brighter than a few months ago...

18. rjtmac

rjtmac Texan by Birth • Grace

Just missed out at Wally World Thursday by a day. They got five cases in. Sold out in 15 minutes. Said one guy brought in his wife, 6 kids and a couple of friends. Walked out with 30 bricks. Right at $18.00 per.

I'm jealous !!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  19. sharpshooterassassin

sharpshooterassassin New Member

They'll more than likely re-sell them for double or even triple what he bought them for.

20. reedstar1220

reedstar1220 New Member

I have totally quit buying 22lr I have more than enough for myself and family to shoot but I have an emergency stash put back for a rainy day. I felt like I was adding to the problem buying them anytime I could find them even though I already had 3,000+ rounds I know I am just a small drop in a huge bucket but it makes me feel better.
    The big problem is the people buying with the intentions to double or triple their money on them!