.22 Short

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by mdlucas, Nov 15, 2014.

1. mdlucas

mdlucas New Member

I have some Agullia .22 short in my ammo collection, can I shoot these through my Ruger .22 magnum revolver?

2. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

I have shot 22 shorts through my SP101 22 wheel gun..........no problem....

3. Nogoat

Nogoat New Member

Be sure to clean your cylinders, crude could be left behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Ruger Forum

4. TxLobo

TxLobo New Member

The case diameter is the same for the .22 LR/.22 Short and .22 Magnum the case diameter is .225 for each cartridge.

you may have a bit more flashing from the cylinder gap as the powder is starting to burn in your cylinder instead of your barrel.

As above, clean the cylinder real well before trying to load your mag rounds..

5. mdlucas

mdlucas New Member

.22 Shorts

Thank you for the information, I wanted to make sure I wouldn't cause damage to the revolver

6. jeeper1

jeeper1 New Member

I would not shoot shorts, longs or long rifle cartridges in a magnum chamber. The cases will bulge and split.
    the s, l, and lr cases are .226 in diameter, and the magnum cases are .242 in diameter. That is a .016 difference.

7. trainman

trainman Member

I would be careful with that brand of .22. There is no powder in the shell, just the primer and the bullet. My LGS says not even though they sell them. The primer may not be sufficient to push the bullet out of the barrel. I won't go near them. A real .22 short is way better. It has powder.

8. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I was digging through one of my old reloading boxes today and ran across some old Remington .22 shorts. I forgot I even had them since it's been so many years that I was in that box. Seemed so funny to find that little tiny round again but it brought back a lot of memories. When I was a kid, we could buy them for about .25 cents a box. Course I was young then but it will still right after the turn of the century, I mean the century before the one we have now.........laughing!!!!
    Tommy

9. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I think Aguila sells both '.22 short' and CB ammo. I don't have Aguila, but I do have Remington ammo, some "CBee low velocity .22 short, and some "high velocity" .22 short. I can tell you that the CBee short functions fine in a Winchester Model 61 pump, has a nearly nonexistent report, and will take out a red squirrel in the bird feeder at 15 feet.

There is some propulsion loss in a revolver. How that compares with pushing the bullet through a 20" barrel in the Model 61, I dunno.