22 plinking

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by fredc, Mar 9, 2019.

1. fredc

fredc New Member

I found a great little target that has an unlimited supply, never needs to be policed up and cost next to nothing. I use ice cubes, you can get trayes for different sizes and if you want different colors just ust some cheap food coloring. They really don't need to be for rimfires, you can make any size you have containers for. My wife is always hollering at me for using some of her dishes to freeze ice in. I like the fact that you never have to spend time gathering them up like you do cans or plastic bottles, the sun takes care of all that for me !!

Carl Crosby and SGW Gunsmith like this.
  2. RL Johnson

RL Johnson Active Member

Great idea I will have to try that out.

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Now that is using your head.
    Ice cubes just got another use.
    I use food cans for plinking. Might as well put some holes in them before going to recycle bin. They bounce around pretty good as moving targets also.

4. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

NEECO candy wafers and charcoal briquettes.

I would be afraid of too large an ice cube. Might send a bullet ricocheting off.

SGW Gunsmith likes this.
  5. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Muy Bueno compadre. I have an ice maker and it is alwayus too full.

6. SGW Gunsmith

SGW Gunsmith Active Member

Good ideas all! Each August the IRPC gun club, up north in Trego has a "Family Range Day" free shoot for anybody who wants to attend. Having biodegradable targets is one prerequisite that is imperative to prevent 'policing up' the area.
    We shoot at dum-dum suckers, pigeon eggs gathered from the local farmers barns, vanilla snap cookies, animal crackers, small left behind potatoes that were missed during harvest, all sorts of stale crackers and anything perishable that creates a reaction when hit with a bullet.
    We can always use more ideas.

7. Carl Crosby

Carl Crosby Member

I used to shoot the heads off the little sunflowers dancing in the wind on the side hill with my 77-22. I miss those days!