.22 lr revolver?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by conservative, Oct 1, 2017.

1. conservative

conservative New Member

I started thinking (always dangerous ) about a 22lr revolver . I know ruger makes a couple of .22s but their price points are generally too high for a range/training gun budget. Last Saturday when I went shooting with my friend, he let me shoot his Heritage Rough Rider 22 . While it did not blow me away , I was intrigued and I like the price better. So my question is what would I be losing in comparison to say a ruger single six. Thanks!

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Quality, accuracy, warranty and then resale value.
    I have been shooting most of my 22lr handguns lately and now you brought up Heritage I guess now I will be shooting both of them today.

3. conservative

conservative New Member

Well quality,accuracy, and warranty are important . Not so concerned with resale value with the rough rider.

4. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I have three Ruger revolvers. The Bearcat, the SP101, and the Single Six Convertable. I guess I like the Bearcat the best. It's just a really neat revolver. The SP101 is my most carried. It just sort of jumps into my holster. The Single Six, well I have wanted one a long time. I snatched it up a couple of years ago when I had the chance. The Rugers replaced a H&R 649, a NEF R92, and a Heritage Rough Rider. I wont talk down on either because they were all good revolvers, but the Rugers stand head and shoulders above them.

If you could swing it, I would consider the LCRX 3inch in 22. I was looking at one Saturday at the LGS, they can be had for just a bit over $350.

5. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

With the rough rider you're looking at cast parts and lower quality craftsmanship. I have one, pretty impressed for $100. For me, I don't shoot much .22 LR anymore so I couldn't justify a $450 ruger. I already have and h&r sportsman which I love. The rough rider is a single action so no rapid fire!

My RR:
    IMG_1263.jpg

My H&R:
    IMG_0853.jpg

6. buster40c

I have to say for just plinking I don't need a gun that cost a paycheck. I bought two Heritages for less than the cost of one Ruger. But the one Heritage is a very poor quality shooter due to the barrel or front sight off center or canted. 1 Year warranty and customer service wasn't very helpful. Not like Ruger customer service for sure.

7. conservative

conservative New Member

Thanks! I know now that it's kinda like a gamble, it like you said , there's no need to spend a paycheck or two for a fun gun in a caliber that is useless for most everything felt plinking and small game. But I do understand those that want a quality gun even just to do those things. And if I had a rich uncle or something.... but oh well I don't and I just have to get my guns as I can afford them. Plus, I work most of the week anyway so maybe 50 rounds a week will go through the gun and that's a big maybe. So I don't need to dump a lot of money into a "dresser drawer queen". Yes I haven't got a safe . That's how tigger money is. Lol. But no kids in the house so....

8. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

As I noted, I will not talk down about the Heritage Rough Rider. They are good revolvers. Mine was the 6 1/2 inch all steel with adjustable sights. I took a loss on it when it was traded for the Ruger, but not that much.

I would recommend the all steel adjustable sight version. It's a bit more than the others, but only 1/2 the price of the Ruger. There is a pawn and gun shop near here who keeps the Heritage 22's in stock. You can buy the alloy frame with either a 4 or 6 inch barrel chambered for the 22 Long Rifle for $120. They sell a ton of them.

I traded mine for no other reason that I am a Ruger Fanboi. The only Ruger i had ever owned a mark II until the last 5 years or so. I didnt own them because i could not afford them. I traded quite a few for just a couple, but i am happy with my Rugers.

For what it's worth, I shot Cowboy Action with a pair of Heritage Rough Rider Big Bores in 45 Colt, a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt and a Century Arms PW87 shotgun. I never won but I had a lot of fun.

As to Heritage customer service, it's gone downhill since they are owned by Taurus. One of my big bores developed an intermittent timing problem, it would sometimes over ride the locking slots and spit lead. In the end I ended up fixing it myself. Heritage said it was OK....over the phone....without even looking at it.

BTW, heritage has a nice line of western style leather also.

Heritage steel with adjustable sights.

Attached Files:

9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

+1 on the Heritage Rough Rider...

Mine cost me $119 on sale at the then closing Gander Mountain...while I was there buying ammo and Pmags...

I love single actions...they make you take your time and shoot the right way...

front sight covers target / squeeze trigger

[​IMG]

{ Don't worry about cast parts and such...you're NOT shooting a hand cannon...just a .22 Magnum !! }

Having said that...It IS the "cheapest" gun I ever owned.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    RFF likes this.
  10. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Trained my grandkids with mine,

No it ain't a Smith or Ruger, or Colt..

But at $100 it hits POA, and bangs everytime that trigger is pulled.

heritage.jpg
    heritage 22.jpg

Jim

RFF likes this.
  11. buster40c

Well all this talk about Heritage and 22 lr revolvers I had to get mine out for some shooting. At 10 yards free handed I was able to mostly keep in a 4" round target. Both guns I was shooting way low so I got my file out to file down the front sight blades. I shot a bunch and that brought my shots up but figured the guns were still shooting low so filed some more. I now have both guns shooting vertical centered if I don't push or drop my hold. The horizontal I do okay as long as I don't pull to the side.

I painted the front sight blades fluorescent pink on both guns and sighting is so much easier now. Black blade with black rear u sight on black target was a real PITA for me to see.

I shot a little over 500 round brick and believe me that takes awhile when each gun only hold 6 rounds. I figured I was doing fairly well shooting from 10 yards.

Attached Files: