Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have a mk2 22/45 bull barrel. Would I be better to keep it or get an sr22. Just for plinking and fun
Well, that is really just personal preference I think. Some would prefer the Mk II, and others will like the SR. If I were to have either, I think I would like to have the SR-22, with the 4.5" barrel. JMHO

·
Registered
685 Posts
I cant make myself like the SR22. The safety/decocker is backwards from any of my safety equipped semi-automatics.

My choice would be the 22-45.

Actually, my choice would be one of these, depending on if the HPA ever passes.
upload_2019-3-16_20-49-16.jpeg

upload_2019-3-16_20-47-41.jpeg

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
I like your choice to greg-r.

·
Registered
33 Posts
As mentioned, may be a personal preference. I have a Mark 4 22/45 target model (looked at the sr22 when looking at the mark4 the mark 4 just felt better in my hand), and a charger. Really like both. Both fun plinking guns

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Have 2 stainless Mk IIs, 6 7/8" heavy tapered and a 5.5" heavy. Also have a standafd 4" blue. They are all plinkers, but not exactly easy to carry except in a holster on a belt or a shouldeer rig. Happy with the Mk IIs & have no need or want for the IIIs or IVs. Got rid of the 3 Mk Is I had and thought about getting a moe compact & lighter gun like the SR 22.

Being a cheapo, I hoped to pick up a used one after they had been out for a while. No such luck yet. Did pick up a Sig Skeeter in LNIB condition. It was o.k. for size and fliable. However, the trigger felt like 2 stones rubbing together when it let off. It was also reliable with most brands of ammo. Easy t0 carry just stuck in a belt It was closem but no cigar.

Had a similar gun about the same time that I can no longer remember the name of. It was made in one of the 3rd world countries by some Ex-Glock employee. Looked like a Glock, but sure didn't work like one. it was LNIB when I got it in a swap. Trigger would have been good if the gun woulh ever get more than 2 or 3 shots out without a hangup. That was with all 3 mags I got with it. Would not even feed Stigers. The finish wore quickly off wheb carried stuck in my belt aroubd the old rancho. It's long gone.

Did come across a S&W 22a1 off a fuy at a show for a bill and a half with 3 mags and I said, why not? He said it was justtt too heavy.I would have to agree. But if ya want a plinkr that will feed any kinga crap .22 ammo you feed it, this it the gun. Accurate too with most brands. Yep, a plinker, but not great for a belt pafking kinda gun. Woulda kept it, but I already have the Rugers for that.

Might just have to get a new SR22/ A friend of mine bought one and it wa great for packing, reliable, and had a good trigger. He doesn't pack them around like I do. He usullyu buys a new gun, fires it once, and if it works, he locks it up in his safe forever. Then he goes looking for something else he wants.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just thought I’d let you know. I ended up buying a mk4 22/45 lite. Ended up putting on a red dot. I love it. Shoots right on with never a problem. Have tried different shells but think cci mini-mag target seem to be the most consistent. Could definitely recommend this gun. Going to get the same one for my granddaughter. Oh yea it has the 4.4 inch barrel.

·
Registered
124 Posts
When I find myself facing such conundrums, I usually purchase *both! However I see that you made the decidion to get the 22/45 Lite, and I wish you well with it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Then again there's always something else to explore...how about a stainless Mark II grip frame (softened and glass beaded) with Volquartsen internals, a Volquartsen NiB coated 4.5" barreled LLV3 receiver & comp wearing Volquartsen's adjustable target rear and fiber optic front sights, and lastly a new (and inexpensive -> $30 shipped (eBay)) OEM Mark IV bolt:

With so many different options available today that can be purchased and installed by the end user, creating a pistol to meet one's own requirements or likes is an easy task. Your imagination, pocketbook, and the willingness to explore the plethora of possibilities are your only boundries :)

·
Banned
405 Posts
Getting back to your initial question after the rude interruption, if a choice really needed to be made between the two pistols that you asked about, and along with my extensive experience with Ruger .22 pistols, I think you made the better choice.
There is a plethora of aftermarket parts available for the Ruger Mark 22/45 pistols, yet, as of this writing, not much aftermarket stuff available for the SR 22 pistols, so I like and agree with your choice.
You will find that your 22/45 pistol will be much more accurate than the SR 22, which makes plinking even more fun, and by the way,
to the forum.

·
Registered
124 Posts
...or how about an unused Mark IV barreled receiver that's had it's factory 5.5" barrel shortened and threaded to 1/2-28 (by Volquartsen) for those who on occasion would like to change their vanilla Mark xx/22/45/Lite pistol variant into one used specifically for suppressor use? This is yet another option for the end user to explore regarding the Ruger Mark series of pistols that's less expensive than purchasing another complete pistol, and which can be accomplished without requiring the need to have your serialized receiver sent out to have the work performed by a gunsmith.

The short barreled Mark IV receiver below was received in the original pistol's (from which the receiver of this upper was derived) matching/serialized case, for $140, shipped free:

Check Volquartsen's "Clearance" section often for similar opportunities...

Volquartsen Clearance page...

·
Banned
405 Posts
...or how about an unused Mark IV barreled receiver that's had it's factory 5.5" barrel shortened and threaded to 1/2-28 (by Volquartsen) for those who on occasion would like to change their vanilla Mark xx/22/45/Lite pistol variant into one used specifically for suppressor use?
The short barreled Mark IV receiver below was received in the original pistol's (from which the receiver of this upper was derived) matching/serialized case, for $140, shipped free:

Check Volquartsen's "Clearance" section often for similar opportunities...

Volquartsen Clearance page...
Ummm, the Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite already comes with a threaded barrel from the factory. You haven't exposed any "secret" concerning the Mark IV take-offs, I posted about the VC offerings quite a long time ago, and that's most likely how you found out.
Why wouldn't they be doing the barrel cutting and threading work for an added fee? That's what VC does every day, they manufacture. It's amazing you're not claiming that you did all the work, like your good buddy 'Test Engineer' does over on RFC.
Besides, uppers are not available all the time, and when they are, they need to go to an FFL for transfer, which usually incurs a transfer fee, which ain't FREE. Very convenient that you left those facts out to make a feeble point.
And "switch barrels" are "take-offs" and only available for the Ruger Mark IV series, which you also conveniently left out of your deceiving post. Tsk tsk!

·
Registered
124 Posts
...then again there's always the options from Tactical Solutions that are also available for all the different Ruger Mark series pistols; they offer their Pac-Lite receivers with threaded barrels in lengths of 4.5", 6", 8.5" and 10", in fluted or non fluted configurations, and in numerous colors. Wirthwein Guns is an excellent source for these and other Ruger pistol and 10/22 parts that are available at reasonable prices:

See link --> Tactical Solutions Pac-Lite uppers for the Ruger Mark I, II, III, and (separately for the) Mark IV series pistols, available at Wirthwein Guns...

·
Banned
405 Posts
Check out the prices for the above mentioned!
Reasonable?

Might as well buy another pistol, or better still, wait for VC to offer more take-offs at much, much better pricing. And that color above is just

·
Registered
124 Posts
Back to the SR22. Some don't care for it's safety operation, others think it's too small, etc. Regardless, I've found mine to be a nice standard DA/SA hammer fired design pistol that's been 100% reliable and reasonably accurate just as is from the factory without the need for any aftermarket additions, and unlike the Glock 44, it comes with a threaded muzzle and 1/2x28 adapter for compensator or suppressor use. I have numerous magazines for mine which are readily available, reasonably priced, and all function just fine without having to disassemble and "work" on any of them with abrasives and polishing.

The Ruger Mark series may have a long history, but the SR22 is another option, not to mention other viable .22LR pistols that are available from other manufacturers besides Ruger, with some costing even hundreds of dollars less than the Mark series, that offer better ergonomics and larger ammunition capacity while doing so.

Noone should let either a firearm's perceived popularity or aftermarket widget availability to sway them in any particular direction; purpose, utility, and lastly cost should be the factors used for your choices. And if you have the money to spend, by all means spend it however you see fit, even if it includes an aftermaket receiver/barrel of a bright anodized color to go along with your black 22/45 Lite grip frame; the purchaser of such items are the only ones that their personal choices matter to...

·
Banned
405 Posts
Noone should let either a firearm's perceived popularity or aftermarket widget availability to sway them in any particular direction; purpose, utility, and lastly cost should be the factors used for your choices. And if you have the money to spend, by all means spend it however you see fit,
Couldn't agree more! Yet some will see bolt head, "pull-back" additions on some Ruger Mark pistols, for example, and ONLY because a much younger crowd is trying to emulate a "championship class shooter", they'll also attach one of those "tacti-kool" additions to present the appearance of them being anything but a Class D shooter.

Yah!, I suppose "gaudy" will get you some of the attention you desire so much, but I've never read or heard where it will increase your scores.

And then for all others, isn't it so nice now that you have received "permission", from a newbie here, that allows you to spend your $$$$ how ever you please. It sure makes me "tingle".

·
Registered
124 Posts
I should add that the SR22 is available in another barrel length besides 3.5"...the 4.5" barrel model 3620, although it's muzzle is not threaded:

Also worth mention are the different model SR22 Distributor exclusives available from:

• Bangers
• Bill Hicks
• Chattanooga Shooting Supplies
• Lipsey's
• South Sports
• TALO
• Zanders

...ranging from bright colored frames, to American flag graphics, to gold accoutrements. There's surely something for every taste:

See the current Ruger SR22 models available at Ruger.com...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts