Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm trying to break in my 22/45 so I've been shooting 40 grain Mini Mags with a lot of luck. I've fired 600 rounds of the CCIs and in the past 400 rounds there have been 0 failures.

I tried some CCI 36 grain Hollow Points and have problems with the jamming on the feed ramp. The bullet nose is getting stuck. Same thing happens with the other Hollow Points I've tried. The bullet nose dives into the feed ramp.

I'm thinking it's a magazine problem so I now have tuned 7 of my mags and I still have one or two that still jam with the Hollow Points.

Am I going about this the right way or are there other fixes I should try?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Some of these guns require several thousand rounds through them to break in. Try sticking with the round nose bullets for a while, then try the hollow points again.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
7,454 Posts
Take a dremel and polish the feed ramp to remove any burrs...then try some different brands of HP's...as sometimes the standard velocity bullets don't return the slide back all the way fast enough to strip then fully seat the next round out of the magazine...

Some manufacturers...(GECO of Germany) even say to use standard velocity only in bolt action rifles...try ELEY Tenex and see the difference.

Magazines can also be to blame...it really depends.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a 22/45, and to shoot hollow points I have to slap the back of the loaded clip into the palm of my hand, before inserting in gun. Brings the top bullet up into position. If I fail to do that, and I release the slide the first bullet tip drives into the bottom of the feed ramp, Non hollow points, no problem.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Believe it or not, the new Ruger is finicky about the rounds it will eat. Like Shooter stated, take a dremmel and some Flitz and polish the feed ramp. That will help but you may find that some rounds will not be digestible to your pistol. The hollow portion of the hollow point tip will catch. To keep it simple use RN bullets for a couple thousand rounds and then try it. Hope this helps.

Tommy

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I have a 22/45, and to shoot hollow points I have to slap the back of the loaded clip into the palm of my hand, before inserting in gun. Brings the top bullet up into position. If I fail to do that, and I release the slide the first bullet tip drives into the bottom of the feed ramp, Non hollow points, no problem.

This is what I was going to suggest. This can make a big difference in all magazine fed firearms......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts