Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was browsing around the net today looking for low prices on ammo. I found Tula Ammo 130 grain FMJ 38 special for bout 19 cents a round. The general consensus as near as I can gather is that it's good ammo for target practice, but nothing else. Some people mentioned it was dirty ammo, but since I generally clean my lcrx even after just dry firing it, I don't see a problem with this. Was wondering what you all thought? Too good to be true?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Tula mostly makes steel cased ammo so I avoid it. I've shot 1 of their 50 round boxes of brass 9mm fmj. It was ok, no dirtier than Blazer or WWB and similar performance too. It all went bang and made holes in the paper.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
It'll be steel cased berden primed. Russian made, I believe. I shoot it in one of my AR'S, .223 obviously, not the .38 spl . It's run flawlessly for me.

It is a little bit dirtier but at least it's not corrosive. And since you're shooting it in a revolver, you won't have to worry about feeding issues.

I'd say go for it.

·
Registered
992 Posts
It'll be steel cased berden primed. Russian made, I believe. I shoot it in one of my AR'S, .223 obviously, not the .38 spl . It's run flawlessly for me.

It is a little bit dirtier but at least it's not corrosive. And since you're shooting it in a revolver, you won't have to worry about feeding issues.

I'd say go for it.
I had the opposite experience with the steel case 223. I had fail-to-feed with the first round of both mags when fully loaded. Downloading by 2 rounds fixed that. But I had huge problems with high pressure. The difference in recoil and report was noticeable and the primers were nearly blown out of the case. I'm told that steel is sometimes formed with slightly undersized case bodies (to ensure feeding and extraction, since it is not as slick as brass) and this can cause headspace problems. I no longer run any steel in my guns because of this.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
One consideration of using steel case ammo is the coating that is put on the outside of the case,

This varnish type material , when heated , becomes soft and can create a mess in the chamber to deal with when cleaning.( especially in a tite fit revolver cylinder);)
Ask me how I know this.....

2 cents,

Jim

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One consideration of using steel case ammo is the coating that is put on the outside of the case,

This varnish type material , when heated , becomes soft and can create a mess in the chamber to deal with when cleaning.( especially in a tite fit revolver cylinder);)
Ask me how I know this.....

2 cents,

Jim

Thanks ! I was wondering about that.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
You have to watch buying anything from Russia these days. It might have some spy device in it. LOL Smile and don't be telling any secrets whenever you are handling it. I just had to put that plug nickel comment in here.

Reactions: Carl Crosby

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You have to watch buying anything from Russia these days. It might have some spy device in it. LOL Smile and don't be telling any secrets whenever you are handling it. I just had to put that plug nickel comment in here.

Buster40c : that's a good point. Also, watch out if you see an Afghan Hound . Just sayin lol!

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
The indoor range that I shoot at has a sign on the door "No Russian Ammo". Don't know there reason but FYI.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
The indoor range that I shoot at has a sign on the door "No Russian Ammo". Don't know there reason but FYI.

It's cause they have a bi-metal jacket and won't pass a magnet test. My outdoor range has a restriction on it right now because of fire hazard. The magnet test is mostly for steel core ammo but if it sticks to a magnet they claim it could cause a spark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts