1994 Ruger Vaquero 44 mag

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by mikestripe, Sep 27, 2015.

1. mikestripe

mikestripe plinker

My LGS has a Vaquero 44 mag. with 5.5 inch barrel made in 1994, they are asking $699 plus tax for it, I thought that sounded kinda high to me, what do you guys think.

2. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

What shape is it in, stock grips or not, bore clean and in good shape......etc.?

3. mikestripe

mikestripe plinker

Vaquero

Bore looks good, trigger and timing are good, shows holster wear, grips are white, not sure what material they are made of

4. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

It's going to be worth right around $550 to $600 in my opinion, without seeing or shooting it. Pictures would be great- but offer $575 and see what happens. Brand new full retail is $769.

5. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Outfits like Gallery of Guns may knock off $100 or more from that MSRP. Looks like .44 Magnum Vaqueros may not be in current production.

6. berettabone

berettabone In the army now..

A bit high..............................................$200 high

7. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I also think it's a bit high. You didn't mention whether it's blued or stainless. Stainless will command a higher price. Check the bore real close. As far as the white grips, look up pistol grips and you will see all kinds of them, plastic, bone, mamouth teeth, all kinds. You can bet that it's not ivory as that might be illegal. Grips can run from approx. $65.00 and up. There are a boat load full of grips on E-Bay.

Tommy

8. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

They have a boat load of grips because gun owners evidently take the grips off and throw them into the boat before they throw the guns into the drink.
    You might check out gunbroker to see what those guns are going for. Look at ended ads to see what they sold for.

9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Ruger introduced the "original" Vaquero in 1993...built on the New Model Ruger Blackhawk steel frame...

a slightly larger frame than a Colt SAA... made to handle modern .45 Colt and .44 Magnum loadings.

In 2005...Ruger introduced the "new" Vaquero which incorporated a smaller frame, based on Ruger's XR-3 grip frame, making the pistol closer to the size of the Colt Single Action Army Revolver of 1873.

The grips are listed as faux-ivory...which is basically man made polymer.

I own an "original" Vaquero Bisley model with a 5.5" stainless steel barrel / frame chambered in .357 Magnum and those faux-ivory grips...

( shown next to my Colt SAA 4.75" barrel chambered in .45 Colt )...I paid $500 OTD for the Vaquero NIB in 2004.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  10. I like the original Vaquero best, mostly cause of it's BH heavy frame and larger cylinder walls. But, I do like the way the New Vaquero handles and balances more like the Colt SAA. I think down the road, the original heavy frame Original Vaqueros will demand a bit more of a premium over the New Vaqueros as they are becoming more scarce to find as time passes... With that said, if the Vaquero is mint, $ 699 is not a unreasonable price as it's a fine sixshooter and built like a tank.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015