1991 Super Blackhawk

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by jstanfield103, Nov 22, 2015.

1. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 Member

I use to have a Blackhawk Hunter in 44 Magnum and a Blackhawk in .357. I could not hit the broad side of a barn with either, so I sold (traded) both of them off.
    I Love my double action (GP100's and Redhawk's). I was looking locally on a gun trader /Sales site and noticed a Super Blackhawk that just caught my eye. Posted on the guy's post and we made a trade deal.
    One thing that I always felt was the two that I sold because I could not hit anything with them was there was something wrong with them. I am a pretty good shot. I took this Super Blackhawk to the range today and had no problem what so ever hitting anything at all. Very happy with the gun. Does it shoot as comfortable as my Redhawk. Not even close, but it is as accurate just not near as comfortable as the Redhawk.
    I do have one question though, why did Ruger go with the Dragoon Style of trigger guard ? That thing is painful of you're off hand finger upon recoil.
    Anyway, Happy I made the trade and after a little cleaning and some work with some scrubbing green pad to get the scratches out it looks like new now. Rifling and everything else is excellent.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

You may try to find some Hogue or Pachmyr grips for your pistol to help absorb some of the recoil. The Super Redhawk had a lug that ran almost to the bottom of the barrel to absorb some recoil and then they changed it and went to a shorter lug. Both pistol were probably heavier than the one you have now. Nothing wrong with the one you have now but it will take some time to get used to it. Accuracy won't be a problem, but learning how to hold the pistol will be. It just takes time.

Tommy

3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Nice lookin' piece JS...!!

Just got this myself...a 1982 New Model Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum:

[​IMG]

4. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Is there such a thing as an 'old model' SBH? Wondering if the SBH showed up after the change.

5. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 Member

Shooter13, That is an extremely nice piece you will have to give us a range report.
    VThillman, I believe they started some time around 1974 with the Super Blackhawk so yes they started after Ruger quit making the Old Model.

6. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 Member

Did a little changing on the Blackhawk yesterday. I polished it up to a nice shine. This will be the last one I ever polish again, finger prints are horrid on it. I will have to keep a film of Renaissance or Johnsons Paste Wax on it. But it really is pertty :).
    I did learn a lot about the gun during the process. I had never completely and I do mean completely taken apart a Super Blackhawk before. It was a good experience, especially reassembly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

If I had that I would have it out in a display so's I could just look at it all the time.

8. dandzivi

dandzivi New Member

From everything I have read or heard, the square back dragoon style trigger guard was simply an exercise in esthetics. I personally like the looks of it myself but you are right, it's a knuckle buster if you are shooting hot loads.. I have a Vaquero .44 special that I wanted a longer grip on to better fit my big paws. I retrofitted the grip frame from a Super Blackhawk Hunter (with round trigger guard) to it and could not be happier with the results. Hunter grip frames can be purchased from Ruger, subject to availability. There is a certain amount of hand fitting required to dress the side surfaces down to match the frame, but I think it's worth the effort.

9. dandzivi

dandzivi New Member

[​IMG]
    Here's a shot of the SBH Hunter grip frame that I grafter on my Vaquero.

10. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 Member

Well guy's I took this gun to the range again the other day and shot it trying different grip holds. My hands must be a little to smallish for the plow handle. I took it to my LGS and traded it for a 45 acp / 45 Colt 4.2" Redhawk. That gives me a Redhawk in 44 Mag, 357 Mag and now 45 Colt. Very happy, even picked up a Henry Big Boy Steel with it for the matching set. Never will buy a Blackhawk again. Just not made for me and what Mom & Pops and God gave me. Redhawk's just much more comfortable to shoot. I have tried 3 different makes of Blackhawks and all of them were a no go for me. Even the Bisley 44 Mag. I had did not last long just uncomfortable.