Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by mills, Nov 27, 2014.

1. mills

mills New Member

Well I went and put a sr1911 on layaway Tuesday. I had one a year or so ago and somebody offered me the right price and I sold it. Big mistake! I missed it so I got a good deal on another one and went for it.

I got the 5". Do you all prefer the 5" or 4.25"? Can't wait to get it!

2. 00b5

00b5 Member

Don't sell it this time! I really love mine.

3. mills

mills New Member

I'm not selling it this time. I love the 1911's. Just an awesome gun.

4. colin1230

colin1230 New Member

Yup, the SR1911 is pure Eye Candy!

[​IMG]

5. mills

mills New Member

Yes it is! I can't wait till I get it.

6. lovetoshoot

lovetoshoot New Member

Sold mine several months ago. Loved the gun, hated cleaning it. Black guns don't show carbon as well.

7. gcarson

gcarson New Member

I like the 5" barrel. It is very accurate. I had only one problem, and that is that the front sight broke while making a follow up shot last time I was at the range. Has anyone heard of this being a problem with Ruger 1911s?

8. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

I have a 5-inch produced in 2011, which is what I wanted. Love the feel and balance of the 1911 - much easier to clean than my Mk II.

ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1422479954.997918.jpg

I'm hoping to get the LW version someday soon. That would make an exceptional carry piece.

9. UptownSeb

UptownSeb New Member

The balance on the 5 feel a little better.

10. mills

mills New Member

I ended up gettin the 4". Feels pretty well balanced.
    ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1422539517.680465.jpg

11. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

Sweet! Let us know how you like it after your range trip.

12. 00b5

00b5 Member

Mine broke too. Quick call to Ruger and a new one was on the way. You can send the slide back or just get the sight sent to you. There was a thread about the front sight on here. If there was too big of a gap between the bottom of the sight and the slide, the shock of firing would crack the 90 degree cut of the sight and eventually break it.

13. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Sure is a good looker..

Jim

14. mills

mills New Member

Yeah I'm in the middle of moving right now but plan to unload a few rounds soon. Thankya.

15. JimA

JimA Member

While I really like shooting my 5" SR1911, that new lightweight commander is calling to me.:)

16. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I just got my Ruger SR1911 last week and it is the full size. I, however want the Commander as it will be my CCW. I have a Colt combat commander from 1975 which I presently use besides my 19 Glock gen 3. I can carry the full size if I can't get the commander: time will tell. My question is: what year of pistol do you have whereas the front sight fell off? Prescott Az. is only a 2 hour drive for me should I have problems. My pistol was built in January 2015 and I am wondering if you guys have older models than mine?
    Tommy

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  17. mills

mills New Member

I just got mine a few weeks ago. Are you sayin your sight fell off?

18. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I wanted the commander until I shot my 5" SR 1911. It is incredible in accuracy and trigger pull. It is a little different carrying the larger pistol as I have a 1975 Colt combat commander which I was using for a CCW and it was a 9mm which is a hard gun to find. After shooting the full size and seeing how well it shoots I have decided that I am going to keep it and forget about the commander. One thing I forgot to mention is I took off the stock grips and put a Pachmayr grip on it and I think it makes a lot of difference.
    Tommy

19. 00b5

00b5 Member

Mills...It didn't fall off, it broke off.