Ruger Talk Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I went and put a sr1911 on layaway Tuesday. I had one a year or so ago and somebody offered me the right price and I sold it. Big mistake! I missed it so I got a good deal on another one and went for it.

I got the 5". Do you all prefer the 5" or 4.25"? Can't wait to get it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like the 5" barrel. It is very accurate. I had only one problem, and that is that the front sight broke while making a follow up shot last time I was at the range. Has anyone heard of this being a problem with Ruger 1911s?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I like the 5" barrel. It is very accurate. I had only one problem, and that is that the front sight broke while making a follow up shot last time I was at the range. Has anyone heard of this being a problem with Ruger 1911s?
Mine broke too. Quick call to Ruger and a new one was on the way. You can send the slide back or just get the sight sent to you. There was a thread about the front sight on here. If there was too big of a gap between the bottom of the sight and the slide, the shock of firing would crack the 90 degree cut of the sight and eventually break it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I'm in the middle of moving right now but plan to unload a few rounds soon. Thankya.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Well I went and put a sr1911 on layaway Tuesday. I had one a year or so ago and somebody offered me the right price and I sold it. Big mistake! I missed it so I got a good deal on another one and went for it.

I got the 5". Do you all prefer the 5" or 4.25"? Can't wait to get it!
While I really like shooting my 5" SR1911, that new lightweight commander is calling to me.:)

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
I just got my Ruger SR1911 last week and it is the full size. I, however want the Commander as it will be my CCW. I have a Colt combat commander from 1975 which I presently use besides my 19 Glock gen 3. I can carry the full size if I can't get the commander: time will tell. My question is: what year of pistol do you have whereas the front sight fell off? Prescott Az. is only a 2 hour drive for me should I have problems. My pistol was built in January 2015 and I am wondering if you guys have older models than mine?
Tommy

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
I wanted the commander until I shot my 5" SR 1911. It is incredible in accuracy and trigger pull. It is a little different carrying the larger pistol as I have a 1975 Colt combat commander which I was using for a CCW and it was a 9mm which is a hard gun to find. After shooting the full size and seeing how well it shoots I have decided that I am going to keep it and forget about the commander. One thing I forgot to mention is I took off the stock grips and put a Pachmayr grip on it and I think it makes a lot of difference.
Tommy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts