Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am pretty late with this, but here is my 1911 with the grips that Jim (phideaux) gave me.

I put some skateboard grip tape on the front strap, put on a magwell, painted the sights, swapped out the mainspring with a lighter one and did a comprehensive trigger job that took it from an unacceptable 1911 trigger pull of 9 pounds to 3.5

This is now one of the most accurate handguns I have and I love it.

I did have to trim the grips a little to fit the magwell and as you can see, I did ok for having no woodwork skill/experience. At least on this half.

Now the part I am ashamed of. I don't know what happened but as you can see, disaster:

This is of course an extreme close up, and is not very noticeable unless looking directly at it, but I would like to do what I can to fix it best I can.

Is there such thing as "adding" wood? A paste or something that will be durable and hard that can add a little more material to that corner.

Doc

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I adjusted the brightness to see it better. I would think could use a wood filler, file it to shape desired then stain it. Jim would know better than I on that.

Attachments

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Buster,
Just and idea from one old geezer to another, but have you ever worked with body putty before? When I rebuilt all my cars I had to use body putty to take out dents, and do some shaping. Some of it has a steel base in it. A real fine grit that is just as hard as steel. I am sure, if properly fixed, it will adhere to almost anything. It takes some time to learn but it can be molded and sanded and then colored. I use "Rage Gold". It's not cheap but the best on the market. You should be able to buy a pint can and a tube of hardener. BUT you have to work fairly fast as it will set up quickly. After about 20-25 minutes and you can sand and shape it. Just a suggestion cuz I know NADA about wood working or putty.

Tommy

BTW-you asked me about the song "It's my party and I will cry if I want to". If that is the one sung by Leslie Gore,back in 1964 then I have no idea of what you are even talking about. I was in kindergarten or preschool then. And you have to remember I spent a lot of years in the 3rd grade so therefore you are way ahead of me in your thinking (or non thinking) than I am and I ain't gonna apologize. Hahahahaha

Tommy

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Either one that has been mentioned will work,
Water putty will also work, and any hardware store has small cans, cheap.

Build the corner , reshape it, then sand/file to what you want, then comes the fun of trying to match paint and color, end it with gloss.

good luck.

Jim

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
I have no knowledge of woodworking with putty.

But I did all-but build a car out of Bondo before.
And like my dad used to say, if you stick with it long enough you can make it look as good as you want it to.
Maybe practice on a scrap hunk of wood first to get the hang of it. Just an idea.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
The biggest problem I see from experience is getting the wood fill to stick to the original wood and not come off. If you can get it to stay on while filing it and staining then the clear coat hopefully would keep it from coming loose.
I would get a small can of wood putty and fill in up to the metal while the grip is still on the gun. File it carefully to shape then stain, then clear coat. This way being right up against the metal will act as a protector holding it in place and less chance of getting caught and coming loose.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I would personally sand the exposed edges, hit it with some paint to match(model makers paint- tiny jars , hundreds of colors) and leave it alone. Or, send it back and let him fix it for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts