.17 hmr

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by RA17, May 22, 2016.

1. RA17

RA17 New Member

I have the Ruger American in .17HMR. Thinking about getting a 10/22 as well just to have a .22 on hand. Is there any comparison between the two as far as ergonomics?

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Well, my RAR is in .22-250, but, it's a bolt action and the 10/22 is a semiauto, the mag releases are not in the same place, and they don't feel similar in my hands. The 10/22 comes in so many configurations that hardly anything else can be said generally.

BTW, unless you intend to fade away from RT like smoke, you could do the introduction thing. Could keep me from preaching to the choir, stuff like that. ;)

3. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Hey Drew ,
    I moved your introduction over to our introduction subforum.

Jim

4. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

I love the .17 HMR. Although I currently don't own one. I used have a Savage with a Nikon scope on it. As far as I'm concerned that was the Greatest. Squirrel. Gun. Ever.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  5. Nogoat

Nogoat New Member

My latest 17 HMR, nice shooter, and a sidekick to my Henry GB 17.[​IMG]

6. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

:)

A Nixon scope, hey? There must be a non-stupid joke to be had there - but I can't think of one.

7. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

He could see the handwriting on the wall...?

Jim

8. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

It was late...........I was tired...........

9. RA17

RA17 New Member

I've got a Barska on mine, serves its purpose well.

10. OldTexan

OldTexan New Member

All I know about squirrel hunting with the 17HMR is make sure you shoot them in the head. The round will remove major amounts of stew meat if you hit the shoulders or hind quarters.:D:(

Fun caliber but 22LR is more appropriate for the fillin' the fryin' pan.:Cooltu:

11. RA17

RA17 New Member

[​IMG] when you shoot them in the eye, plenty of stew.

12. RA17

RA17 New Member

[​IMG] and you loose a little with the body shot. Hence, i always hit the eye now.

13. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

When I took grays, Ma used only the hind quarters and a little ways up the back. That shoulder shot would be irrelevant. She didn't stew squirrels unless there were only one, or two small ones.

What species of squirrel is that?

14. RA17

RA17 New Member

Its an Eastern Fox squirrel, quite common in Michigan, we also have Reds, Grays, and Black squirrels. As well as Southern Flying squirrels.