Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two questions actually. First, does any one have any pet standard pressure loads that perform well from a1 7/8" snub nose that they would share?
Next, can these hollow base slugs be loaded upside down with a regular seating die.
Thanks
TDP

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When loading wadcutter bullets the profile of the seating stem must match the profile of the bullet being seated. Round nose bullets require a round nose stem, semi-wadcutter require a SWC stem. Wadcutter bullets require a wadcutter stem. Get your dies out and see what came with your set. The hollwow based wadcutter bullets are soft so must be seated carefully to avoid deforming the , then apply a light crimp.
They can be loaded upside down to create a big hollow point but the flat or wadcutter profile stem has to be used and care taken not to deform the bullets big hollow point . Seat then crimp in two seperate steps...this helps.
Pet load: This bullet, loaded as a standard wadcutter or reversed for a hollow point ( don't seat the hollow point all the way flush into the case, leave 1/4 inch or so sticking out). Over 3.5 grains of Bullseye will give you around 800 fps from 2 inch J frame. A popular load is 3.0 grains Bullseye for 700 fps. For wadcutter target load. These are standard pressure loads.
Gary
Thank you sir. That is exactly the info I needed. A friend of mine has the correct dies for wadcutters, so I guess I can use his dies for my backwards loads too. Your 3.5 gr of Bullseye also sounds about right for my needs.
I really appreciate your help,

Thanks
TDP

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.