10mm Ruger?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by uscg721, Jan 11, 2017.

1. uscg721

uscg721 New Member

Why has Ruger not produced a 10mm semi-auto? RAP 10mm!

Dear Ruger;

Why do you leave me faced with the proposition of buying my first Glock?:puker:

2. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Not enough of a market to put resources into it when those same resources can produce a better yield elsewhere.

3. uscg721

uscg721 New Member

Makes perfect sense from their perspective no doubt

4. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

None of their current semiauto designs would be adequate to the task as is. They could do it in Redhawk or SBH, but why?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  5. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

Don't forget Sig makes a great 10mm, if you want reasonable priced EAA has had them for years.:D

6. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture New Member

Write the president and tell him what you want. (There is a link on the website), If enough people indicate they want something, Ruger will produce it.

I keep asking for long barreled uppers, to fit my SR762, in 6.5 and 6 Creedmoor. I think they would be fun to shoot the auto class in precision rifle with.

7. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I think right now Ruger is under constant strain to build the LCPII and they are going to where the market demand it. I was told that they are running overtime trying to keep up with the demands that they are under now. Being in business, you have to go where the demand is to stay profitable and in business.

Tommy

8. allenr

allenr Member

Exactly right.

9. hodge

hodge New Member

Exactly right. While I have no doubts that Ruger cares about the customer, that isn't what drives them the most- they are in business to make money. That's why they do what they do, no different than we do what we do. I can't afford to work for nothing.
    10MM is more of a niche caliber, and I would imagine that Ruger isn't positioned, like Glock or Sig (both offer a much broader product line), to delve into a lesser market. They are focusing on mainstream interests, and it's about all they can handle.

10. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

Mainstream interests? Like the LCR in .327 Fed and the GP-100 in .44 Spl?

Don't get me wrong. I love those two offerings and applaud Ruger for releasing them. But, I hardly think those are "mainstream interest" calibers.

11. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Neither of those variations on previous offerings required the redesign that, say, a 10mm RAP would require. A gun that 'shoots loose' over a few hundred rounds would not serve Ruger's reputation well. I'm guessing that a 10mm RAP would need to have a 6" barrel&slide, too?

12. hodge

hodge New Member

Well then, forgive me. I'm not completely familiar with Rugers current and past offerings.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  13. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

Several companies are offering the 327, it offers light recoil and performance on par with the 38 Special. Fits in for CCW for those who are recoil sensitive.:D

14. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Aren't all 327 rounds in magnum? A 327 magnum sure isn't like a 38 special. The .32 round does have less recoil than a 38 special though. An SP101 shooting 327 magnum is a handful with the stock grips IMO.

IMO the 327 is a good example why the 10 mm may not make it for a new model in Ruger line. Several companies made 327 magnum guns a few years ago and they went by the wayside. Now the 327 is again being made but for how long this time?

Price and availability of ammo IMO plays a factor in how well a gun will sell after the new gun on the block wears off.

15. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

.327 magnum was designed to give .357 mag-like performance while still being able to get 6 shots in the cylinder in a smaller framed revolver. Also designed to give less recoil than the .357 mag.

It ultimately, failed. Still a good cartridge, but .357 is more powerful and popular.

16. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

Easy I think you are completely correct, save one detail - Ruger doesn't apparently have a platform other than the 1911 that is appropriate for a 10mm, whereas the GP and LCR are perfectly capable of handling those other cartridges. Market research must have indicated that there was enough interest to warrant a production run in those calibers. If enough interest builds up in sure we could see a 10mm SR1911, much like the old Colt Delta Elite.

17. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

I would love to see a RAP in 10mm......