10/22 which is best

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by amhdive, Feb 17, 2014.

1. amhdive

amhdive New Member

I'm a pistol guy and have plenty to choose from but rifles are something I don't claim to have any knowledge on. I've decided to add the Ruger 10/22 to the team but not being a rifle guy I'm having trouble deciding. Right now I have it narrowed to the Carbine, Takedown or the Tactical FS but I can't decide. I feel the takedown is a great idea but I'm not necessarily looking to save space or for a semi hidden weapon for my pack. I like the idea of a threaded barrel to throw on a few accessories but it is a .22 does it really need a FS or other supressors? What impact does the slightly shorter barrel have on the 10/22. The overall purpose of the rifle is to have some fun at the range, take down a few woodchucks in the garden and to mess around with mods.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and recommendations.

2. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture New Member

Check the Ruger site for the distributor exclusives. I'm really partial to the model 1297 "Altamont". Really good looking with a 20-inch barrel, longer length of pull, and a schnabel forend.

3. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture New Member

Sorry didn't really address your questions. Flash suppressors etc, are kind of a waste on a 22. Now a real sound suppressor would be effective on a 22, but unless your killing the neighbors cats doesn't serve any practical purpose.

If you really want one to play around accessorizing, just go to walmart and by the base carbine. There are tons of accessories out there. Stocks, barrels, and action components.

4. redmist3455

redmist3455 New Member

Flash suppressors are good if you are shooting at night a lot, but are generally a novelty for most people. I've been looking for a way to deal with the ridiculous amount of smoke that comes out of the barrel of my 22. It's smokier than any 22 I've ever shot. And I've verified that its not the cartridges I'm shooting. Everything from CCI mini mag to GemTech to Federal has the same effect. The pop you'd expect from a 22, with the smoke output of a Diesel engine.

5. Series11

Series11 New Member

I love my tactical 10/22. I originally set it up for my son and then bought the regular one for my daughter. Now I will probably get one just for me I like them so much. I will probably get the tactical again and take off the flashhider and put a compensator on it and then do other improvements.