10/22 Take-Down Stove Pipes

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by Piecrust, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Piecrust

Piecrust New Member

Hey guys. First off I would like to say that I am new to the 10/22. I have had it for a few months now, the gun would run great with any ammo, but only recently has it started giving me problems. My main problem is stove piping. It has been having 3-4 stove pipes per magazine. It sounds like this is pretty common with 10/22s. I have been looking online on how to fix this, the thing is though I do not know where to start. I have found info saying that I should replace the extractor, but then I have read to polish up the bolt and receiver, or that it could be that the guide rod is bent slightly. I just do not know if it one of these problems or if it is something else and I do not know where to start. Any input would be appreciated. Here is a picture of my Davidson's exclusive take-down.

Attached Files:

• 1022.jpg
      1022.jpg
      File size:
      47.7 KB
      Views:
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Type of magazine and type of ammo used would help us help you...

3. Piecrust

Piecrust New Member

The magazines I have been using are the Ruger BX-1 and BX-25. The ammo was Armscor bulk hollow point and Federal Bulk lead solid. For a while, both of these worked great, no problems. But now...lots of problems, though the Armscor does still result in stove pipes, it is slightly better than the Federal.

4. SHOOTER13

And between then and now...how many rounds fired...it is one type of mag or both...with the same ammo or both...

and why do you think it is happening "all of a sudden" ?!

In other words...what changed...did you clean and lube it before the most recent problems arose...?

Ever take it down to see if there is a problem with the feed ramp...maybe a burr...?

Other modifications to the rifle...?

5. Piecrust

Piecrust New Member

It probably started 500 rounds ago. Happens with both mags and ammo. I honestly have no idea why this is happening. I have been doing the same thing I have done since I got it, which is cleaning it and lightly oiling it after each time I shoot. No burrs. No modifications.

6. SHOOTER13

So...nothing out of the ordinary happened...you bought it a few months ago..you shot it and it was fine...put it away then took it out and started having problems. correct?

Nothing obvious with the lips of the mags...?

Maybe bent or scraped from jamming them into the gun...?

Just seems real odd to be working fine one day...and the next time out all these problems...with nothing in between to cause this to happen.

Same mags/same ammo/same gun/no mods/not dropped off a three story building/not run over by a M1 Abrams/nothing at all ? Odd...

7. Grizz12

Grizz12 New Member

when was the last time you gave it a good thorough cleaning? strip everything down and clean it till it shines inside and out, you may have some buildup, a burr, oil gunk or dirt in places you dont normally clean.

Which lube are you using, I like frog lube.

8. Piecrust

Piecrust New Member

Yeah, it is odd, but it is true. I think I have read similar stories of people with there 10/22s developing problems like this.

9. Piecrust

Piecrust New Member

Grizz, the last time I gave it a good cleaning was after I shot it last, but that is what I always do after I go shooting. I take out the bolt and clean all the surfaces in the receiver and on the bolt, then lightly oil. I do not know the oil off the top of my head. I think it is a synthetic oil.

10. Reagan

Reagan New Member

Just my .02.....I have found that most 22LR ....from 5-6 different manufacturers gave me one problem or another....sporadically....some like Rem, golden, consistent FTFs (1/25).....so I avoid most but CCI, Mini Mags...probably not your problem....but start with good round. IMO

Sent from my iPad using Ruger Forum

11. SHOOTER13

Yea...CCI Mini Mags work the best in my Marlin .22 rifle...and my Browning Buckmark.

12. Piecrust

Piecrust New Member

Ya see though, Mini-Mags are nearly impossible to get right now...and if you can find them they are EXPENSIVE.

13. jenny0217

jenny0217 New Member

Cabelas has or had 100 round mini mags online for 8.99. And that was two or three days ago! Both solid and hp bullets. But my 10/22 is the 200th American liberty model and I have no issues with the ammo I use. And I stick with Remington's. Usually thunderbolts and golden bullets! Give them a shot!

14. Piecrust

Piecrust New Member

Golden bullets were the first bullets I ran through it ~400 with 0 problems i can remember.

15. jenny0217

jenny0217 New Member

I've shot we'll over 5000 golden bullets. And i counted 3 misfires. 0 jams!!! Golden bullets are forever my favorite

16. Piecrust

Piecrust New Member

It's weird though, when you first look at them your like"hmmm....the bullet wiggles..." But when you shoot it your like "....not bad"

17. jenny0217

jenny0217 New Member

Yeah I noticed they do that a lot! I finally found a bucket of them at Dunhams. But I'm too afraid to use them. It was $65 for a rare find!