Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new owner and want to know if I install a lever action extended mag release will it interfer or prohibit the use of the bolt lock and release button. Also if I install an automatice bolt release do I still have to use the button to lock back the bolt?

·
Registered
18 Posts
No the bolt button will not be hindered by a long mag release and yes you still press the bolt hold open up to keep the bolt open it only enables you to pull back lightly on the charging handle to close it. The last round hold open feature that is found on ARs and Minis is actually part of the follower on the magazine and not a part of the gun. Hope this helps

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Captnkidd
Thanks I just don't see the space needed to put my index finger between the trigger guard and the lever to lock back the bolt on any of all the many videos I have seen. Can you comment on that?

·
Registered
18 Posts
The mag release should not have any interference with the little bolt hold open lever at all. My 10/22 trigger is a 2 stage Kidd trigger and is designed a little differently from a stock ruger trigger but the speed lever does in no way interfere with the bolt hold open at all and neither should any of the other after market mag releases. Which one were u leaning towards. I've used the tactical solutions ones on a few builds for friends and family they are made well and only $30 or so on eBay or Amazon. If you look at the pic you'll see the relief for your finger to get in there.

ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1389580636.836369.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the photos of the left side of mag release after the install. All the videos that I have seen do not show the lock lever. I am trying to decide between the tactical solutions like yours or the paddle design. Any pros and cons on mag releases?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I love mine. The speed lever drops the mag with just a flick of my right middle finger. It is great for speedy magazine changes at the range. If your just plinking with it then that's what id recommend. If your going to be small game hunting with it there isn't much of a need for it. I'd leave it factory if that what this particular one was for. Less to snag on branches and brush. Here's a pic of the one that came with my Kidd two stage trigger kit

ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1389659050.699370.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Was it tough to install? Thinking of getting KIDD mag release and their bolt catch. I have never made upgrades to a rifle or a 10/22 before, are these difficult upgrades?

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Just so you know Steelhalo, that thread is 3 years old, and the poster seems to be gone.

If you go to introductions and introduce yourself and post the question , I'm sure you will get answers and help.

The upgrade is an easy install.

Jim

·
Registered
22 Posts
Was it tough to install? Thinking of getting KIDD mag release and their bolt catch. I have never made upgrades to a rifle or a 10/22 before, are these difficult upgrades?
Though mine are from JWH Custom instead of KIDD the installation should be the same, and I want to assure you that it's fairly easy to do.

I would go to YouTube and watch a video about it first though (I do this for almost any modifications I make to my weapons anymore - makes life much easier).

P.S.
If I think there might be complications, or that my brain isn't big enough to remember how to put the parts together right I also occasionally rip the video off of YouTube* and put them on my laptop so I can re-watch, rewind, and pause it while I'm doing the work.
If I can't do this I take pictures of everything before I disassemble it so have something to refer back to.

*there are lots of online services that will rip YouTube videos for you for free. Just Google "rip youtube"

·
Registered
41 Posts
+1 lots of YouTube videos showing you how to do. Very easy, once you take your trigger apart once you'll be able to do it again with your eyes closed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts