10/22 Help Please

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by RangerDoc275, Oct 29, 2017.

1. RangerDoc275

RangerDoc275 New Member

Hello all. This is literally my first post. I joined so I could get some help and then glean and contribute as I can. Long time firearms enthusiast, lifetime NRA Member, NRA Instructor, and more. Thanks in advance.

Last year I bought 2 new 10/22s. I also purchased a bunch of aftermarket items to build them up the way we wanted them.

Specifically we purchased Kidd Industries Single Stage 10/22 triggers and charging handles and such.

Soon after I had a pretty devastating motorcycle accident so we just got around to actually shooting them yesterday. I was severely disappointed. Both rifles malfunctioned repeatedly. Both would fail to reset the trigger and then both would occasionally go full auto for 2, 3, up to 8 rounds. I literally mean full auto. I was worried that some law enforcement would come up and arrest us. Nothing we tried would remedy the situation. I wound up hand charging them enough to zero the scopes and then we called it quits.

When I go home I sent Kidd Industries a lengthy email describing the issues, but since I purchased these over a year ago, I'm afraid they'll blow me off. We'll see about that.

So today, I was going to run up to Cabelas and pick up three of the Ruger BX Triggers to replace the Kidd triggers. I took the rifles apart to clean them and to remove the Kidd triggers.

That's when I think I discovered the issue but I need some expertise here to advise. I've decided to hold off on the BX Triggers and see if this is indeed the issue and if anyone else has any similar experience.

When I removed the trigger I noticed that the main spring/trigger bar actually sticks out behind the trigger housing when the hammer is cocked. I just happened to look at the inside of the stock and sure enough you can see that the trigger bar is hitting the inside of the stock. This is likely enough resistance that it caused the trigger reset issues but I don't know if this would cause the full auto issue.

So to remedy this I dremmeled out a small recess behind the trigger, but inside of the stock so you can't see it. This gives more than enough room for the trigger bar to travel to the full reward position and reset the trigger when the hammer locks.

So does this seem logical? Before I dump more money into these I'd love to know if this makes sense and is the likely culprit. I can't hit the range again until next week to confirm but I thought I'd start here first.

Thanks again.

Attached Files:

2. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Welcome to RT. I'm forced (by hillbilly contrariness maybe) to point out that the BX trigger is pretty slick and doesn't have that problem - but anyway your fix is worth a try, I'm thinking. Seems like there are a couple 10/22 nuts (er, I mean experts) here, you'll probably hear from them soon. 10/22 experts are a giving bunch.

:cool:

:duck:

3. TINCANBANDIT

TINCANBANDIT Active Member

In my opinion, this is EXACTLY what was causing the issues you describe. If the hammer strut cannot move fully to the rear, the sear will not engage the hammer, thus you will get hammer follow (the full auto effect) and if it did manage to catch the sear, but not move far enough to reset the trigger, you would not be able to shoot a second round.

Good job on figuring this one out and thanks for sharing!

4. RangerDoc275

RangerDoc275 New Member

Solution?? I think so but will confirm...

Kidd Industries was actually quite responsive. They had answered my email before I got to the office Monday morning. They confirmed this was a 'somewhat' common issue and that the remedy was correct.

So I'll get to the range this Sunday and confirm all three now function flawlessly.

Thanks for also verifying. I was worried that we took a few $300 rifles and had built $800 door stops.

Just to fill you all in. We got two new Ruger Stainless Steel carbines. We replaced the trigger assemblies (obviously) ,the charging handles, rods, and springs with Kidd Industry parts. Replaced the plastic barrel bands with a red, green, and black aluminum bands. Replaced the barrels on the two SSs with SS threaded barrels and replaced the old one we had with a Butler Creek bull barrel. We topped them all with Leupold 3-9X40 VIII scopes and Weaver see through rings on the two SSs and Leupold low rings on the old one. We put silver sling swivels on the to SSs and added a red and a green sling and finally put a Fajen thumbhole stock on the old one with the bull barrel.

I think they turned out looking great. A complete opposite of all our tactical rifles and guns. These three are "Just for fun!"

5. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

:camera: :popcorn: :D

:usa:

6. Sportymonk

Sportymonk New Member

Let me ask something as my son wants a 10/22 (and I am thinking about it also). Why buy the 10/22 and then replace all these pieces. Can't you just buy the pieces to start with and then buy just the bare Ruger parts without buying the entire rifle?

7. RangerDoc275

RangerDoc275 New Member

You can surely purchase pre-built rifles with aftermarket receivers and such, even Kidd Industries has them with their own receivers. I'm not sure Ruger will sell just a receiver.

The prebuilt rifles from Kidd and others are quite a bit more expensive than what I have in these.

For instance, if you don't have a suppressor you wouldn't need to get a separate threaded barrel. The charging handle that comes on the rifle is functional but we wanted slightly larger ones.

In my opinion, the only thing one must "really" replace on a stock 10/22 is the crappy plastic housing trigger assembly. Although I hear the BX trigger is quite the upgrade but it too is a plastic housing. But its also ~$65 compared to ~$200 for the Kidds and the like.

Others may have different experiences.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    Sportymonk likes this.
  8. RangerDoc275

RangerDoc275 New Member

Images

Thought I'd add a few images that better show what I tried to describe above. What you can't really see is that I also colored in the receiver markings in red and green to complete the his and hers 10/22s.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    Sportymonk likes this.
  9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Alright............Pictures !!!

Welcome to the R/T !!

10. gumpy

gumpy New Member

We love and understand pictures!

pmdoit and Sportymonk like this.
  11. zippo9

zippo9 Member

I was just gonna say, "We like pictures!"

Sportymonk likes this.
  12. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

It's easy enough to like and love pictures and women too. The understand part not so much.

13. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Pictures are definitely good

14. RangerDoc275

RangerDoc275 New Member

Totally dissatified with Kidd Innovation Products

Got back to the range today and tried our three rifles again. Still no-go on two of the three. I won't be purchasing any Kidd triggers again. That was ~$600 wasted. And I'm recommending you all not purchase them either.

I don't know what else to do.

We just ordered another 10/22, this one a Take Down model, but I've ordered a Timney trigger for it from Brownell's. I have other Timney triggers and I should have just got them to begin with. I'm willing to bet I won't have any issues with it at all.

15. RangerDoc275

RangerDoc275 New Member

Not much luck...

We have two 10/22s that we bought in the early 1990s that are all stock and they run like clockwork. They have the original metal triggers and wood stocks.

Then there's these three new ones!

You've read all about my Kidd Triggers issues. Today I took mine apart to change to a lower scope mount. Well, I decided to give it a thorough cleaning and lo and behold I see that the bolt on mine is cracked at the case head cutout.

And of course I'm on the west coast and Ruger customer service is on the east coast and closed.

Ugh!!!!