10 22 DIY bolt handle release

Discussion in 'Ruger Rifle Forum' started by gman079, Mar 31, 2013.

1. gman079

gman079 New Member

Ever had a moment where you thought to yourself, "Now why did'nt I think of that"??? Found this on ebay it practically tells you how to make an extended bolt release, for those of us who are into 10 22 mods.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  2. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Seen them before. Just never appealed to me. I think it's the part of having a casing with no connection to the gun itself.

3. gman079

gman079 New Member

You may have a point but I don't see how it could work it self loose once the epoxy sets. So I did the mods to both of my 10/22's with 300 Win Mag cases laying around and once the JB epoxy weld sets there's just no way its going to come off short of sledge hammering it off, I doubt even the prolonged 10/22 recoil bolt action is going to have any effect. To add a measure of peace of mind I dimple drilled a hole in the bolt release handle to insure a positive hold.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  4. FrogSwatter

FrogSwatter New Member

What scope is that in the last two pictures? How do you like it? (Sorry for the off topic question.)

5. gman079

gman079 New Member

Black receiver 10/22 top of page has a millet dms 1-4x24 scope, 30mm rings -18 inch bull barrel and the silver receiver has a firefield 4x16x40 scope, 1"burris 1/4" low rings-20 inch hammer forged bull barrel. Like'em both out to 100 yds and just a little further with 40 grain bullets.

6. bhale187

bhale187 New Member

How about the Axiom, how's it working out for you? I'm thinking of getting one for a super light weight build up for my daughter

7. gman079

gman079 New Member

Noticed a world of difference in weight,(plus scope, rings, and bi-pods) as compared to the original wood stocks. I have bull barrels on my 10/22's so with the regular contoured barrel it is very very light and not prone to scratches and dents like on the laminate woods. Cons on the axiom stock is that for a tall or bigger dudes the length of pull may not fit them just right even when fully extended. Also its not pillar bedded for the full floated barrel effect, you could go through the process of making it pillar bedded but I just used a fitted washer between the barrel and stock and called it good!!:cool::cool::cool:

8. gman079

gman079 New Member

Another reason I think this is a good mod. it lends itself to slowing down the bolt action due to the slightly added weight of the brass and JB weld compound to the bolt handle. It has been said (which I totally agree with) once all the internals have been buffed, sanded, and polished. The action is smooth as butter and fast!!! (we all have done this polishing in one form or another) consequently timing becomes an issue hence feeding problems FTE's and Stovepipes. So we either break all down again repeat and rinse or we can slow the timing just a tad bit by doing this bolt handle mod and adding a nylon bolt buffer. But if your's ain't broke don't fix it till it does!!!:):cool::)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013