10/22 build, help me decide

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by greg_r, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Promag

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Boyds

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Magpul

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Hogue

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Preparing to order the stock for my 10/22 build. I am considering 4 different stocks. I see pluses and minuses in each. Here they are, help me decide.

Promag. Seems to have the most adjustability. It's at the bottom of my list. Don't like the look of it around the mag well. :puker:

Boyds Gunstocks. It's Purdy! I like it just on looks alone. ( yes, im sort of shallow!) :duck:

Magpul. I'm a fan of the company. Leaning heavily this direction. :cool:

Hogue. Rubber overloaded. Ruger branded. I really like ordering straight from the manufacturer. Plus I like the basic looks. :dunno:

Attached Files:

2. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I will add that the Boyds will look good with my Gen 1 Charger. It would make a good companion piece.

Attached Files:

3. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

I voted Magpul strictly on use and reliability. Utalitarian, is all I can say for the 10/22. The Boyd/s is grat if ya want the nice looks and a match to your charger. If ya ain't gonna try to make the gun into some knda target gun like some of the people on Rimfie Central do, then a nice looking & still functional stock will work. I just don't see spending what they do on heavy barrels, light barrels that look heavy, fluted barrels, fancy triggers, and fancy stocks. I can not believe that all that will make the 10/22 some kinda target gun. The 2 that I have are alf to three quarter inch shooters at 50 yerds. That workks for me. But if those guys wanna spend that much on a .22, then they can go for it.

The stocks I have on mine are Choate Side folders. Yeah, black poly or rubber or whatever. They are solid & the side folder, P grip stock may be a bit old fashioned. However, The folders are solid lockers, much better than some of the othes I tried. With those and some reliable 30 round mags, the kids and relaives can play Rambo if they want. Cheap .22 ammo is better than cheap 5.56. Accuracy is good enough for plinking and paper punching. Great for packng around too and I keep plenty of 10 round Ruger mags for reliable shooting of pests around the yard. I might try some of he Hot Lips 30 rounders if Ifind any nest time I am outta town. They are suppose to work better than my old Ramline 30 rounders.

Anyway, have fun building our gun. That's what it's all about.:D

[​IMG]

Not a great pic, but it shows the Choate side folder & 4X Simmons with stainless finish. I have 2 stainless guns set up like htat. The original laminated wood stocks are still in the boxes & unused.

4. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

This is to my liking,
    This is one of those 1/2" group shooters at 50 yards.

Guess what I voted for ? Wood over plastic for me.:)

1022.jpg

Jim

5. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I really like the looks of the Boyd's laminated Monte Carlo stock - but it seems too classy for a 10/22. A 10/22 in that stock - if it had feelings - would feel something like I did half-a-century ago, dressed up in a tuxedo as best man for a friend's wedding.

6. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I am not going all out on this build. I have the Ruger blued target barrel and the BX trigger in the cart, waiting to make my mind up on the stock. Save on shipping if I buy any but the Boyds.

Jim, that is a really good looking rifle. Making it hard to resist wood! Go ahead turn those bolts another turn. I can take the pressure!

Pancho, I'm not looking for world class accuracy. Just what you have. 1/2 to 3/4 inch at 50 yards will do. I do like shooting the Charger at 100 yards though.

7. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

LOL! I know what you mean! :D

8. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

My vote goes to Magpul. That Boyd stock is a beauty though.....