10/22 Bolt

Discussion in 'Ruger 10/22' started by szeichdog, Aug 16, 2013.

1. szeichdog

szeichdog New Member

Sorry for the long description.
    I recently purchased a 10/22 Takedown. I went right from the store to the range, did a light oiling, ran the boresnake through barrel to clear any debris and put 150 rounds through her. Nice quarter-sized groups at 25yds shooting offhand.

However, I noticed when cycling the bolt it felt gritty. When I got home I stripped it down to check fit and finish. I followed the instructions and still found the bolt very difficult to remove. The machined surfaces on the chamber side of the bolt were irregular and "not pretty". There was also a burr on the left rear side. The roof of the receiver was also not polished but rough finished. I emailed Ruger with my concerns and they will issue an RMA so I can return the entire rifle for inspection.

Has anyone else seen this? Is it worth sending back to Ruger?

2. Blaze

Blaze New Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome szeichdog, I'm sure someone will give you a answer...

Feel free to give us a hello in the introductions.

Ruger Talk App!

3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

If they are willing to send the RMA and return it on their dime...I would do it !!

They will at least address your bolt concerns and clean up any burrs....

4. Reagan

Reagan New Member

Just field stripped my 10/22 carbine for the first time....the receiver, bolt slide surfaces were smooth.....
    Installed a new Timney trigger w/ auto bolt, extended mag release....and crisp 2 3/4 lb pull....amazing....but expensive.

Sent from my iPad using Ruger Forum

5. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Have seen this a few times and certainly nothing I'd send it back for. Think...the bolt was installed, so it can come out even if it's "not pretty". Hard to say without pictures but those I've seen with similar "not pretty" were cleaned up with just a few minutes of filing. Too often ppl jump to sending it back when a few minutes of their time can fix it without all the drama.
    Remember, this is a mass produced product and for the most part, a plinker - not a finely hand finished, precision machine.

6. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

The bolt in my I-TAC was a little hard to get out when I first got the gun. But after several cleanings, it comes out pretty easy. But if you feel there is an issue....Ruger will check it out and make it right.........

7. szeichdog

szeichdog New Member

I appreciate all the feedback but, mass produced or hand made we should demand quality of workmanship in all products, especially when it's "Made in America". If we don't hold manufacturers accountable, sub-standard becomes the new standard.

I've been teaching Technical Ed for over 20 years and normally I would take care of this myself, but on closer inspection, after only 150 rounds through a new rifle, I found that the bolt is scoring the roof and left side of the receiver. Must have been the gritty feeling I experienced when operating the bolt. And since Ruger is issuing the RMA to inspect on their dime I have nothing to lose but time with my new toy.

8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

My thoughts exactly...let us know what happens.

9. Reagan

Reagan New Member

As I previously posted, I field striped and cleaned my new 10/22 carbine......the action is many times smother as I reject all these manufacturers recommendations on especially lube.
    This is a machine with friction....I would rather clean & lube more often if a tad of oil collects deposits.....I soak the bolt/receiver with Ballistol....let sit....wipe nearly dry.....spread a few drops of Slip2000 EWL on the bolt slide surfaces....and wipe off excess....what a great difference!

10. Lendaddy

Lendaddy New Member

I have this exact problem. I just purchased a 10/22 carbine in July. Put 400 rounds through it but couldn’t go 10 rounds without misfires. The average was 2 jams per 10 round magazine. Contacted Ruger and sent it back on their dime. After review, they said it could not be repaired due to the bolt “roofing” into the receiver. Even though I had made many simple mods, including replacing the trigger group, it was all still under warrantee and they are sending me a new rifle. They said that if I would have attempted to repair it myself, that as soon as I put a file into the receiver the warrantee would have been voided. Lesson learned! Leave the gunsmithing, even simple touch-ups, to the experts or risk being hung out to dry.

11. szeichdog

szeichdog New Member

Service followup

This is a followup to my original post.

Ruger arranged to have my 10/22 Takedown picked up by UPS on Wednesday 8/21. They wanted just the rifle; no magazine, scope base, case, etc. I boxed it up with plenty of padding and sent it off. I was told to expect it back in 2-3 weeks. BTW I attached photos of the original bolt.

UPS returned my rifle today. Not only did Ruger replace the bolt, they shipped it in a new Takedown case. They also gave me a new 10-round magazine, locking device, two copies of the owners manual, and a statement indicating they test fired for safety and functionality.

As stated by "Lendaddy", why risk voiding the warrantee and possibly making things worse. And as a bonus I've got a free magazine and case.

Attached Files:

12. Reagan

Reagan New Member

Most excellent szeichdog!
    After your OP and pix, I field stripped my new carbine again....checked the bolt for burrs, etc..( I can't attach pix from ipad yet) ...all looked good but for a minor burr on the bolt face.
    I'm convinced a little oil on the slides surfaces goes along way......smooth!
    I'm putting a post on the BX-25....some fails.....and observations....
    You did good, congrats!

13. szeichdog

szeichdog New Member

Thanks. I agree with you about a little oil. Something about dry metal-on-metal that doesn't sit right with me. Another "fix" I plan on is polishing the bolt wear surfaces with some Flitz Metal polish. A little light polishing by hand or with the Dremel creates an amazingly smooth surface. I then wipe the surfaces with a lightly oiled cloth. I did this treatment to several parts in the action of my Glock 26 to smooth things out.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  14. ccryder

ccryder New Member Lifetime Supporter

Light stoning of the bolt sides and contact pads on the top followed by polishing makes my bolts oh so smooth. A 400 followed by a 600 stone with polish by Dremel does the trick. Stone and polish the face of the hammer reduces the friction when the bolt retracts.

Neil S