10/22 bolt buffer pin

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by RL Johnson, Sep 19, 2019.

1. RL Johnson

RL Johnson Active Member

Ain’t YouTube great? I view many conflicting statements about upgrades and fixes for the Ruger 10/22. My question concerns the bolt buffer pin. I replaced the steel pin with one that has plastic tube with a steel core. I have seen nylon replacement pins all of which are supposed to keep the aluminum receiver holes from becoming egg shaped. Sounded reasonable but it also eliminated the metal on metal sound.
    Is egging of the buffer pin holes a problem? Some are saying it not going to happen and save your money. I like it because I did not like the metal on metal sound.
    I have only had mine a couple of years and do not have that many rounds through it, comments?

actionjackson likes this.
  2. JerryC9

JerryC9 New Member

I put the nylon buffer pin into several 10/22’s. All with great success. Just making the action quieter is well worth the $4.

rugertoter and Carl Crosby like this.

3. Carl Crosby

Carl Crosby Member

4. rugertoter

rugertoter Active Member

Did you just order yours from like Midway or Numerich?

5. TINCANBANDIT

TINCANBANDIT Active Member

I make my own from Stainless mil-spec pins and Tygon tubing, they cost me about a dollar each to make. I sell them on my local forum and on ebay

[​IMG]

6. SGW Gunsmith

SGW Gunsmith Active Member

It's rather dubious as to whether any of these buffer pins are actually necessary, or not. Best answer was most likely offered in Post #2. They ALL work about the same.

7. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

The steel pin not only rides/works against the holes in the receiver but it also rests against the back of it.
    After thousands of rounds down the tube the steel pin in mine probably does not fit as tight as it did when new but I can't see it EVER wearing out the receiver.
    I could be wrong but I see no reason to replace steel with something soft that I'll surely need to replace again and again and....

SGW Gunsmith likes this.
  8. skip

skip Pragmatist

I made mine from polyurethane tubing, commonly used in pneumatic plumbing. Quarter inch OD with 1/16 wall, and put a 1/8 dia steel rod in the center. No signs of wear yet, but if/when it shows, the tubing is pennies a foot.

SGW Gunsmith and Carl Crosby like this.