1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share this Ruger with you guys,

A guy posted this in West Ky classifieds a couple weeks ago,
I been keepin my eyes and ears open for a #1 for several years ,
I have come across a few over the years, but none in 45-70 and none in very good condition.
So, I been negotiating with this guy for over a week, and finally went to see the rifle this morning, it was only an hour drive.

It was all he said it was, just like NIB. not one mark or defect that I could find , and the bore is same as new. I really believe him , that it was only shot maybe 20 rounds.

Mfg date was 1998 according to s/n. It has a Luepold 2x7x33 Vari VXII scope and he threw in 64 rnds of Win Super X 300 gr HP ammo.

Finally got me a nice Ruger #1 in 45-70.
Now I can really load up some rounds..
I have read that in the Ruger#1 it can be loaded up to 458 Win Mag specs,

Here what she looks like,
VERY high quality and built like a tank.

039.jpg

046.jpg

049.jpg

037.jpg

Jim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Nice. Beautiful wood.

I suspect the .45-70 case ain't up to .458 Mag pressures though.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Very nice for sure. Good things come to those that wait and I guess you just proved it.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Jim,
That is one nice rifle!! There are times when a guy has to wait to acquire what you want but you did. You will get hours of pleasure shooting that thing. And hours of pleasure trying to figure out a great load to shoot with it. Good for you!!!!
Tommy

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its been a long time coming, I have seen several Ruger #1s over the years, but not in 45-70, and never seen one in this great LNIB condition.

Now I want to go see how accurate she is. The guy said it was skeery accurate....we will see..:)

Ill post up a range report as soon as I can.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Its been a long time coming, I have seen several Ruger #1s over the years, but not in 45-70, and never seen one in this great LNIB condition.

Now I want to go see how accurate she is. The guy said it was skeery accurate....we will see..:)

Ill post up a range report as soon as I can.

Jim
I gather from several of your posts that you are a .45-70 fan. I have relatively little experience with the cartridge; blowing up a few 10 quart oil cans shooting a cut-down Springfield trapdoor... and a (modern) Marlin 1895 that I 'tested the limits' with in the late 1970s. In my last test, 4 rounds, the primers started back out, and by the 4th round my shoulder was complaining vociferously. When you start 'loading up' your No. 1, that Lead Sled will come in handy, eh? My loads and the chronograph records are lost in the mists of time, blast it.

I've always been fascinated by the No. 1, both the gun and wondering just why Ruger built it; there must be a story there, eh? I hope your range report is supplemented with anecdotes, philosophy, and enthusiasm.

Here's to shooting.

:metal2:

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah...heres to shooting ..:cool:

I do love this caliber, Its easy to load and VERY versatile. Not cheap.

You can take it down to .45lc or take it up to 458 win mag.

It has so much history to it.

But I also love shooting the .22 lr and eeverything between...:D

The most enjoyment I have with is watching others shoot any of my guns, thats more fun than anything.

Have I showed my other 45-70s before?:rolleyes:

http://postimage.org/

Now I gotta take pictures with the new family member.

Jim

·
NRA Benefactor Member
1,345 Posts
Congrats.....beautiful rifle....

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Yeah...heres to shooting ..:cool:

I do love this caliber, Its easy to load and VERY versatile. Not cheap.

You can take it down to .45lc or take it up to 458 win mag.

It has so much history to it.

But I also love shooting the .22 lr and eeverything between...:D

The most enjoyment I have with is watching others shoot any of my guns, thats more fun than anything.

Have I showed my other 45-70s before?:rolleyes:

Now I gotta take pictures with the new family member.

Jim
I recognize - in general terms - all of those guns except the 2nd from the top. What is that?

They are all beautiful - except maybe the Marlin, and that's only because I don't like Marlin levers. Its laminate stock is very similar in character to the stock on my M700, and I like that fine. ;)

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Top is Pedersoli Sharps 1874 Quigley 34" barrel
2nd is H&R Buffalo Classic 32" barrel
3rd is Browning 78 24" barrel
4 th is Marlin 1895 GBL 18.5" barrel

The Ruger #1 is 22" barrel

Now I am keeping my eyes open for a TC Contender in 45-70 14", and a Magnum Research BFR in 10"..:cool:

Im curious VThillman what lever action rifles you like you.

I also have a bigger family of Lever Action rifles.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Top is Pedersoli Sharps 1874 Quigley 34" barrel
2nd is H&R Buffalo Classic 32" barrel
3rd is Browning 78 24" barrel
4 th is Marlin 1895 GBL 18.5" barrel

The Ruger #1 is 22" barrel

Now I am keeping my eyes open for a TC Contender in 45-70 14", and a Magnum Research BFR in 10"..:cool:

Im curious VThillman what lever action rifles you like you.

I also have a bigger family of Lever Action rifles.

Jim
Ah, H&R. I could see it's a break-open, couldn't guess the make.

Long ago when the world was young, I borrowed a Marlin 336 .30-30 for deer hunting once, and a couple older Marlins in .32-40 other times. Managed to jam every one of them at least twice before getting the hang of 'enthusiastically' working the lever. Pretty sure I managed to jam the 1895 .45-70 too. Those things can take time to clear. I like Winchester 94s better, and Winchester 1892s (and the Browning/Miroku clone) even better yet. Back then I could see open sights well enough. I even prefer the Winchester 1895, though my dad's in .35 Winchester had an uncomfortable balance point for carrying.

I'm sure you know that the Ouigley Sharps in the movie was a .50-120 or something like. If Pedersoli had gone there, they may have sold... 37 guns total? :)

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There were 3 guns made for Tom Selleck , for the movie, and they were actually chambered in 45-110, made by Shiloh.

They had special stocks to fit Toms longer length of pull at 15.5"
He only fired blanks in the movie.

One was sent back to Shiloh , and refitted with an aluminum barrel,so he could use it more like a club, as they all weigh 13.5 lbs( mine too).

He donated one to the NRA , which sold at auction for $69,000.

As far as I know, he still has the other.

I own Marlin, Uberti and Rossi lever actions, with all my Rossi LA being completely slicked up by Steve Gunnz in Texas, which made them unbelievably smooth .

My favorite is a Uberti 1866 Yellowboy in .45LC. Highest quality and most accurate of all.:cool:

http://postimage.org/app.php

Jim

Jim

·
Registered
232 Posts
Great find and a really nice collection.
I have a NEF Handi-Rifle in 45-70. I load 15 grains of Unique behind either a Berrys plated 350 grain bullet or a 405 grain cast bullet also from Berrys. They are sub-sonic with recoil about equal to a 223 bolt action rifle. I have bad shoulders (rotator cuff damage) and can't handle real recoil any more.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Jim,
I have to say this in all seriousness, you simply amaze me with your rifle shooting. I know you stated you had a bad wing and had to learn how to adjust to shooting and that makes it more intriguing. We can all overcome our "disabilities" (not the right word but you know what I mean) and continue to love to shoot or reload or do the things we love. I don't mind getting old, I just don't want to age. You have a nice collections of firearms and I have to say I am envious. Many years ago, and I mean many, I did some competition rifle and continued to do it for 5 years. At the time it was a lot of work, however the rewards are great when you get done with a match. I sure wasn't no Kit Carson, maybe, just maybe a Anus or is it Annie Oakley but I had fun. I hope you get a lot of great years of playing with your toys as I do mine!!
When Quigley movie came out, I wanted one so bad I could taste it. Now the damned thing would knock me on my butt but what a time it would be. I am happy for you and hope you enjoy that new rifle as much as I enjoy looking at it.
Tommy

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just would like to share the shooting with the folks here.

I love watching people shoot any of my guns.

:)

Jim

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After 49 years..... she is used to it....;)

:D

Jim

1 - 20 of 22 Posts