SR22 or 22/45Lite

Discussion in 'Ruger Rimfire Forums' started by Railbuggy, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Railbuggy

Railbuggy Oath Keeper

My brother the X cop just got a SR22 and ordered a threaded barrel for it.I was looking at that model but thought a 22/45Lite w/4.4"barrel might be better.What say you...:D

2. Popeye

Popeye New Member

Can't say anything good or bad about the SR22. I do own a 22/45 RP target pistol and I believe that it will outlast me. As far as I'm concerned the MK series Ruger is one of the top of the line 22's.

3. jmohme

jmohme Member

Apples and oranges!
    Depends on what he wants to do with it. 22/45 will be a better target pistol, but not very conveinient to carry. The SR22 is much more compact, and accurate enough, but not on the same level as the 22/45 or any of the Mark III's.
    My opinion anyway.

4. bhale187

bhale187 New Member

+1 to this, and I'll add that the SR22 is super easy to field strip and clean, while the 22/45 is a PITA to put back together until you get used to it.

when it comes to plinking a 22lr pistol, the MK series is absolutely the top of my list, when it came to cleaning them they are absolutely the bottom of my list. I finally got rid of my MKII target because I got sick of having to pull up a youtube video everytime I tried to put it back together :eek:

5. Railbuggy

Railbuggy Oath Keeper

Quote from bhale187- I finally got rid of my MKII target because I got sick of having to pull up a youtube video everytime I tried to put it back together :eek:
    Know what you mean.I bought a Mark 1 back in 74 right after MC boot camp at PI.Easy to get apart a PITA to get back together.Traded it to fellow Marine for his color TV in 77.

6. Gwgw60

Gwgw60 New Member

Agree with the previous comments. Unless you want to do long range (25-50 yd) bullseye target shooting, the SR22 makes a lot of sense.

7. bovinefecalmatter

bovinefecalmatter New Member

I think I would go with the Ultra light. Weight wise they are about the same but I trust the 22/45 to function more reliably. I have a special place in my heart for 22 handguns, but I have never found the perfect one each one has its own strength and weakness from concealability to dependability from single action with interchangeable cylinders to semi-auto, revolvers that will shoot anything you can find to autos that are brand specific. all in all I have owned several mark 2/3 but I think my next ruger will be a 22 cal sp101

8. Dig

Dig New Member

22/45 is the way to go, love it, very accurate , eats about any you put through it. Now for the tear down part, I have had mine since Nov. and have done a few mods to it...piece of cake now, just comes naturally . I believe you need to know your gun inside and out, so I have made it a point to be able to disassemble and reassemble without help. 22/45 great little gun!

9. DonnieD

DonnieD New Member

As was said, the two guns are entirely different.

If you want a gun that is fun and better simulates a centerfire defensive pistol, get the SR22. We (wife and I) have one and both really like it.

If you just want to plink and are emphasizing accuracy and a longer sight radius, get the .22/45. I have a 22/45 and it's a great shooter, particularly with a Volquartsen sear.

Get both of them and resolve the dilemma.

Re disassembling the .22/45, that's something you don't need to do very often. Most of what you need to do can be done with solvent soaked patches w/o disassembly. Don