single six

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by rokhedjo, Feb 19, 2013.

1. rokhedjo

rokhedjo New Member

Tell me about your single sixes! I just got one and cant shoot it for a couple weeks !:)

2. longslide10

longslide10 New Member

1956 Flat gate...

Attached Files:

3. Donn

Donn Member

My Single-Six 22lr/22mag Convertible' s going to the range with me this morning.

4. Win94ae

Win94ae New Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4FFSp2495Q"]SingleSixMania[/ame]

5. weblance

weblance New Member

I have 3 Single Sixes... well, ones actually a Single Ten. I bought the Ten first. Its a great revolver, beautiful, and extremely accurate. I was shocked when shooting it over a rest, Its as accurate as my Mark II Target. Great balance in the 5.5" version. I then bought a Single Six stainless 5.5" convertible because I wanted something to match my Ten, but shoot 22WMR out of. The new Single Nine wasnt available yet, so I bought the Six. When it arrived, the action was kinda gritty, the gun wasnt terribly accurate, and worst of all, the Long Rifle cylinder would bind up. It would shoot 6" groups at 25 yards, and would always throw one round completely off the target, and not from the same chamber. I kinda put it on the back burner, and decided I wanted to try the 4 5/8" Single Six. I bought a blued convertible, and it was excellent, just like my Single Ten. The balance is perfect with the shorter barrel, and shooting Magnums is a hoot. VERY different gun with the 22WMR cylinder, and a hot Magnum load, like CCI Maxi-Mag +V. I decided I needed to do something about my 5.5" Single Six. I called Ruger, and they said "send it in"... I didnt say anything about the accuracy issue, thinking I just hadnt found a load that it liked yet. 5 weeks later, it was back, covered in grime, long rifle cylinder all dark from lead, and just looking like crap. As I started to clean it up, I suddenly realized that the action was now very smooth. I took it to the range, and the Cylinder binding was fixed. It also now is deadly accurate. It will shoot 2" groups, rested, with open sights, at 25 yards. Its the same barrel, so I dont know what they did to fix the accuracy issue, but they worked some magic, and I didnt even ask for that. I am glad they did, because there definitely was something wrong. They are great revolvers, built to heirloom quality, and I am proud to own all 3.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. rokhedjo

rokhedjo New Member

More ! More ! More !

7. Terminatorret

Terminatorret New Member

I have a 4 5/8 blue convertable Single Six. Accurate and reliable. Use a Mernickle PS6-SA to carry. As far as .22's go, I have no desire to own or carry anything else.

8. randym03

randym03 New Member

I am interested in one of these for running coyote trap lines. Should I go with the single six convertable, or the single nine 22 mag only? Has anyone shot the single nine? I am leaning towards the six.

9. weblance

weblance New Member

I would get the Six Convertible. The added versatility of the Long Rifle cylinder makes it just that much better, than an extra 3 shots. You wont lose any accuracy over the Single Nine, when shooting WMR, because all the Sixes have the barrel optimized for 22 WMR. I would save up the extra money and get the stainless Six. It really helps with corrosion resistance when the revolver is going to be a "working revolver".

10. BlackhawkGeorge

BlackhawkGeorge New Member

I got a new single six convertible back in 1974. By a quirk in our state law at the time you could have a LTC at age 18 and carry a handgun fully loaded but you couldn't buy one or even the ammo to go into it! My father bought the revolver and my mother got her own Firearm ID card so she could buy me ammo for my guns. My younger son likes shooting so he has sort of adopted my old six-shooter and having a great time with it.

11. mag318

mag318 New Member

Ruger has been building this popular revolver for over 50 years. The new ones are nice but I still prefer the old model without the transfer bar. True that if you carry it you should rest the hammer over an empty chamber, but I think the OMs are smoother and the lines of the hammer are more streamlined. Also the OMs don't have that novel printed on the barrel.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  12. rokhedjo

rokhedjo New Member

I finally got the chance to shoot mine the other day, It is quite an accurate little pistol. I see that there is a different MOA when changing to the .22WMR ammo. Does everyone see that?

13. mag318

mag318 New Member

I just picked up a 4 5/8" barrel Single Six which is not to common in the old models.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  14. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

Good looking gun...I am getting a Super Blackhawk in .44 cal in a few days....got revolver fever bad...lol

15. 911JB

911JB New Member

Just showing off my newest member of the family. This is a anniversary gift from my wife. It is a 5 1/2 inch barreled, wooden grip, produced in 1971. Box is in perfect shape and I believe it has all original paperwork with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JB

16. glock26USMC

glock26USMC New Member

Very nice....looks like you have a keeper ;)

17. 911JB

911JB New Member

Yes G26, I dont know how much trigger time this old girl will get, but I can bet it will see at least a few rounds.

Oh, maybe you ment wife. Hahahaha. Yes she is a keeper also!!

JB

18. buildit

buildit Goofy Owner

I love my single six because it shoots .22 mag, .22LR and shorts. No pictures but I do have it in this video. There is a short review of the Single six at the end of the video.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0lQL6dGlVM[/ame]

Edit: Pictures added
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  19. Smpsn

Smpsn New Member

Here's my latest 22 I just got a week ago. Now I'm hunting down a stainless version.
    [​IMG]

20. tater

tater New Member

Nice looking!! Have you got to shoot yet?